Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Wrist Computers (his and hers)

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Okay, I will admit I have no idea what it is...What the hades is a "Zoop"?
    It's the replacement for the Gekko, which is their entry level computer. The Zoop has ugly coloration (read: a giant yellow circle around the screen), but my girlfriend loves it...so that's what she dives.

I wanted an inexpensive wrist mounted computer. I do dive nitrox from time to time. I wanted it to be very simple and basic. I narrowed it down to the Mares Puck and the Suunto Zoop. The Zoop is a little more conservative than the Puck. The Zoop has 2 button. So you can go forward and backward through the menu. The Puck only has 1 button. So you can only go forward.

Having only 1 button, the Puck doesn't really need a manual. So regardless of how bad Mares manuals are, I'd still recommend a Puck.

I actually bought the Zoop. I like the yellow ring around the face.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Yeah. There is a slight learning curve for Suunto computers, but I think they end up being great once you figure them out. Of course, that's not to say that I would take a Vyper over an OC1.

Images
    Holy thread resurrection Aquaman. My Mares wrist computer is just not working out too well. In fact I hate it. I would like to replace it with another computer. My needs are simple. It's got to have a nice watch that I can wear most of the time and I would like to have Nitrox as well. Large letters are a plus. Was looking at the Oceanic Geo 2. Almost won one on eBay today. Suggestions, recommendations?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I have the Geo 2 and dove it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Great piece of kit. It takes a bit of practice to access some functions but the "cheat card" that comes with it helps a lot. Just remember to switch off the Default when in Nitrox or else it resets to 50% after each dive.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Zeagle Eagle,

What do you hate about the Mares? Is it the Puck? Without knowing why you hate it, it would be hard to recommend something else. On the surface I thought the Mares Puck and the Suunto Zoop were about the same. I bought a Zoop and it has worked out fine for me. Makes me wonder if I was just lucky or would you hate the Zoop as well.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Zeagle Eagle,

What do you hate about the Mares? Is it the Puck? Without knowing why you hate it, it would be hard to recommend something else. On the surface I thought the Mares Puck and the Suunto Zoop were about the same. I bought a Zoop and it has worked out fine for me. Makes me wonder if I was just lucky or would you hate the Zoop as well.
    The Mares wrist watch is just too complicated. I have to study the manual for a couple of days before I go anywhere. Unlike, my Cobalt that my 10 year old can work. The manual for the Mares Nemo alone is worth hating it. Not to mention no user changeable battery and no battery hot swap. My Oceanic Pro Plus 2 is also another easy to use computer. I maybe have to check the manual to figure out the log or maybe to double check the FO2 setting.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    So far I am thinking Oceanic Geo 2 will fill the bill. Anyone else got a better idea. I like the watch on it and the computer seems to be pretty good too. It's stainless (that's a plus) and rugged. I like the looks of it. I plan to wear it as my main watch on dive trips and leave my Samsung Gear at home. It will be my backup computer while diving. The digits look fairly readable. I have old eyes and need the larger fonts.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images

Oceanic Geo 2 Brand New from Leisure Pro

This looks like a pretty good deal from leisure pro. $380 out the door, no tax, no shipping. For a brand new Oceanic Geo 2. I new I should have jumped on that one on eBay. Final bid was $289 brand new, free shipping.
    ST may match it.

Subtotal
    $399.95

Promo Code:
    cat5dis / Remove-$19.99
    Add another promo code

Shipping to US 77318Change Postal
    Super Saver (7-10 Business Days)Free

Taxes-- 00.00
    Total $379.96

Does anyone else have any more promo codes? I will try to get ST to match it they usual do.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a wrist watch. I picked up the Oceanic Atom 3.1 for $356. It's brand new in the box. I've read the manual and viewed most of the you tubes. I think I will be happy. The price was right, that's for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-Atom-S...eanic+atom+3.1

No transmitter yet.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information