Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSA for PSA (and Beyond)

Barracuda
    Images
    Update, for anyone still following along.

I have been back to work for a week now and life is settling back into normalcy. There were upwards of 400 e-mail messages in my In box so I had a busy first couple of days sorting that out, plus getting back up to speed on what my team is doing. (“I’m their Leader – Please tell me which way they went!”)

I originally intended to return to work on Oct 3rd but, after playing with the grandkids on the first, I had blood in my urine. Sort of tells me my insides are not yet healed. A couple of more weeks off seem to have solved that problem. Now I can comfortably lift 40-50 lbs without feeling like my insides are falling out. (Hmmm, a scuba set-up is about 50lbs – I’m good to get wet!)

I had a follow-up with my Urologist on Oct 5st. It was mostly a pathology report on the findings when they examined the bits they removed. Since there were no abnormal cells near the perimeter of the prostate, all indications are that they got all the cancer and it did not metastasize outside the envelope. We will be more vigilant during check-ups but there is very little chance I still have cancer. (Loud cheers) He was quite impressed that sexual function was back on-line so quickly. (Even louder cheers!)

I also had a visit to a physiotherapist. Turns out the Kegal exercises I have been doing are wrong. Traditional Kegals are too strong and short lived for my changed circumstances. They are great for counteracting a sneeze or cough but I need long term, constant support to my bladder. So I now have to unlearn all that muscle memory and learn a new, gentle form of the exercises. In the mean time, I still dribble. Hopefully I will have it under control soon.

So, life goes on. A few minor changes to the way I operate but things are quickly getting back to a new normal.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Shark
    hooray for healing.... thanks for the updates!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Yay, hooray for the good news! Glad you are on the mend. Be careful, and don't push yourself too far too fast.

Barracuda
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I have been tested for the last 10 years (age 59 now) my family has a history of prostrate problems. and my PSA went up this time so I have a met with the uroligist and am meeting with a nother for a colen inspection at thhe same time ( a 2 fer 1 inspection.) Your info has allowed me to go into this with a little less stress.
    Good to hear a you had a good outcome. My Grandfather lived til 98 and my Dad til 79 ( something else got them.)
    Thanks again for speaking out.

Barracuda
    Images
    Just had visit with a surgon about setting up his part with the inspection along with a biopsy & have it set up for Tuesday.

Barracuda
    Images

Smile Results

My visit with surgen turned up cancer and today I had seed implant done. Doctors advised me to wait atleast three weeks before diving. Just a little sore so far. Worse is where they had me strapped down shoulders and knees. Gentelmen get checked and catch it early. Ladies drag them in for it.

Mcr0112 good luck. Sounds like you caught it very early. Almost all men over 60 will die with prostate cancer, but they will not die from it. The aggressive forms of prostate cancer occur mostly before age 60. The PSA was not intended as a screening test. It has a high error rate. From my point of view, anything that draws attention to the possibility of cancer is better than nothing.

Barracuda
    Images
    That's what my doctor said about the PSA test. Since I had a family history the urolgist thought it should be dhecked further thus a biopsy that found it in 2 of twelve samples with no other symptoms. The PSA just called attention to it.
    Merry Christmas to All>

Shark
    Images
    Merry Christmas to you, mcr0112!
    So glad you're on the mend.

Barracuda
    Images
    Been 3 weks since my treatment. No adverse side effects except I have to visit the men's room about once an hour even at night. I go for my first check in a week to make sure I'm "cooking" as I should be. I am impressed with this procedure ( seed implant) as there seems to be almost no sid3e effects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information