Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to train me or not?

TadPole

Do you want to train me or not?

Ok...so I'm getting a little frustrated here. I decided back at the beginning of August that I wanted to take the Divemaster course. I contacted the dive shop nearby to get started. The first thing the course instructor had me do was come in and meet with him. I did. He then told me I needed to talk to the owner. I called him and again he asked me to come in and meet with him. I did and I ordered my crew pack which he said would be in within a week. 3 weeks and 2 unreturned phone calls later I finally got the crew pack. I've now called 2 more times and emailed both the course instructor and the owner (course director) and I still don't have a plan to start the training. I finally got ahold of the owner over a week ago and he said the instructor would call me back by Tuesday....5 days ago....still no word! What the heck is going on here?

Divemaster takes a lot of time on the candidates part as well as the LDS or Instructor. I would hope they are making a schedule to see when they can incorporate your training.

Questions for you.
    Have you paid for the course? If not and you still want to work through this LDS, pay it. If yes, you can always ask for it back and take your crew pack and money to another store.

Did they give you any assignments? After my orientations my DMC's have an outline of the reading they need to be doing while we are not directly working with them. Read the manual and read the encyclopedia. I'm assuming a PADI DM.

Watermanship, this is a good time to work on your watermanship skills. You have the times and scores in your manual. Do a self evaluation.

Good luck, I hope it is all sorted out.

Move along to a different instructor and shop IMO. This shop sounds like it is run by people who most likely are not going to put your training at any kind of a priority. Also they likely won't support you once you go through the program.
    Last edited by Straegen; 09-18-2011 at 20:08.

Barracuda
    Divemaster is different. Mine took 3.5 months to complete. (PADI). There is as much a commitment made by the instructor/store as is made by the student. The goal of divemaster is to enter the professional ranks assisting instructors in teaching diving, leading boat dives etc. Its not just another rating - this one requires liability insurance.

Its quite possible the instructor/LDS in question is debating whether they want to make the commitment to train you and use you. I would recommend taking this time to evaluate why you want to be a divemaster. Is it for the next card or is it because you want to work with students and eventually teach diving?

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    Divemaster is different. Mine took 3.5 months to complete. (PADI). There is as much a commitment made by the instructor/store as is made by the student. The goal of divemaster is to enter the professional ranks assisting instructors in teaching diving, leading boat dives etc. Its not just another rating - this one requires liability insurance.

Its quite possible the instructor/LDS in question is debating whether they want to make the commitment to train you and use you. I would recommend taking this time to evaluate why you want to be a divemaster. Is it for the next card or is it because you want to work with students and eventually teach diving?
    Need a like button.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

IMHO skip them. Regardless of what is going on behind the scenes for the program, simple communication is already lacking. It might be indicative of things to come.

TadPole
    Thanks for all the input. I gave it another try (in person)....still no response. I've contacted another shop. We'll see how that goes...

Grouper
    Yeah, I'd avoid them like the plague. It is pretty clear they don't' want to bother with you.

Guppy
    Images
    Dont know the shop but I know ive had to contact my instructor a few times to remind them of things but she runs 3 boats that are gone a minimum of 5 days a week, a store, and her own life... so in my case I give her a break but she also stays in communication with me... do whatever feels right... I am suppose to start my divemaster training soon as well
    United States Marine Corps (2002-2006), PADI OW, AOW, NITROX, RESCUE

Guppy
    Good luck with this. I would have been gone a long time ago. If they are advertising divemaster training, they should be much better prepared than this. There is no excuse.
    Are you for SCUBA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information