Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Editing Software?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Arrow Photo Editing Software?

Any and all opinions welcome!! Thanks...

With all of the programs on the market witch one offers the underwater photographer the best results?

Question: 1
    What photo editing software do you prefer and why?

Question: 2
    Have you used others that you did not like and why?

Question 3:
    Would you consider this for use by Pro's, Everyone or Beginners?
    DevilDiver

1. Photoshop
    2. No
    3. Pro's and serious Amateurs. Casual users might want to start with Photoshop Elements...

People also get good results with Paint Shop Pro. It's either free or almost free. But the cool Photoshop toys typically don't work with it.

Grouper
    Images
    1) Photoshop and Lightroom. Photoshop is the king, but pricey. But if you really want to manipulate an image (color correction, advanced filters, etc), can't be touched.

I just started using Lightroom (a new product by Adobe), it is very user friendly for quickly reviewing, sorting, and indexing images. Also reasonable image optimization tools; much easier to use than photoshop.

BTW - Adobe has pretty liberal rules that allow you to buy academic versions if you have kids in school or college (or you work in acedemia in any capacity) - MUCH cheaper.

Finally, if you are really cheap - Picaso (free from Google) isn't that bad - worst shortcoming is no clone tool to remove backscatter. But it is very fast, and doesn't require a supercomputer to have reasonable performance.

2) The packages that came with my cameras (Olympus, Fuji, and Canon) have all been pretty weak - pretty much gave up on them within the first time or two I have used them

3)Photoshop is pretty expensive - you need to be pretty serious about photography (and willing to spend some learning how to use it) to justify it. Lightroom (with the acedemic pricing) is around 100, so more practical for a casual user. And Picasso is free - what more can I say?
    Last edited by bversteegh; 09-21-2007 at 02:00.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Please keep up the feedback!!

Thanks for the detail.

That why I have posted this. As popular as U/W photography is and all of the programs on the market there has to be some good opinions and options out there and I wanted to know what they were.

I gave up on the canned software I got with my cameras as well. I have photoshop but it's a monster and I find it tidious to use. I ama not sure i want this much control....
    DevilDiver

1. Photoshop is a great program

2. I have tried Corel, and other programs that came with the camera

3. Photoshop can be a little intimidating at first, but once you start using it and get to know where all the features are it becomes a lot easier. A website I reccomend for learning photoshop is http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/photoshop

Grouper
    Images
    I think most folks use PhotoShop Elements. Very powerful and not too terrible to learn and use. When I'm in a hurry though, I use the software that came with my Olympus. It's not as powerful as PhotoShop but quicker and easier to use.

Grouper
    Adobe Photoshop. from my experience it's the best program. the cheaper less sofisticated version exist called Photoshop Elements and Adobe Image Ready. I've used NIH Image, Metamorph, CoralDraw but Photoshop alows more options to perfect an image or alter it to desired levels.
    remember, no software will make your image perfect if it's crappy to begin with.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Question: 1 - What photo editing software do you prefer and why?
    Photoshop 7, ACDSee 8

Photoshop is great for serious photo editing, you can do just about anything with this software if you have the time to learn it. ACDSee is my choice for simple editing (level adjustments, color adjustments, rotation, resize, etc.). It loads faster, looks better, and is more user-friendly.

Question: 2 - Have you used others that you did not like and why?
    Probably have tried a few, but can't remember...the two above are all I use

Question: 3 - Would you consider this for use by Pro's, Everyone or Beginners?
    ACDSee 8 is great for beginners. Photoshop is better for intermediate to professional users, although everybody is a beginner at some point. Take advantage of the hundreds of online tutorials on the web if you're new to Photoshop.
    Last edited by torrey; 09-19-2007 at 12:40.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bversteegh View Post
    1) Photoshop and Lightroom. Photoshop is the king, but pricey. But if you really want to manipulate an image (color correction, advanced filters, etc), can't be touched.

I just started using Lightroom (a new product by Adobe), it is very user friendly for quickly reviewing, sorting, and indexing images. Also reasonable image optimization tools; much easier to use than photoshop.

BTW - Adobe has pretty liberal rules that allow you to buy acedemic versions if you have kids in school or college (or you work in acedemia in any capacity) - MUCH cheaper.

Finally, if you are really cheap - Picaso (free from Google) isn't that bad - worst shortcoming is no clone tool to remove backscatter. But it is very fast, and doesn't require a supercomputer to have reasonable performance.

2) The packages that came with my cameras (Olympus, Fuji, and Canon) have all been pretty weak - pretty much gave up on them within the first time or two I have used them

3)Photoshop is pretty expensive - you need to be pretty serious about photography (and willing to spend some learning how to use it) to justify it. Lightroom (with the acedemic pricing) is around 100, so more practical for a casual user. And Picasso is free - what more can I say?
    One thing I forget - Adobe lets you download a fully functional copy of there software for 30 days to try it out. If you shoot RAW (and if your camera has RAW, use it - LOTS of advantages) give Lightroom a free try to see if you like it. It has a really powerful RAW toolset
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I agree with Torrey. I use Photoshop, but for quick and dirty simple things like rotating and cropping, ACDSee loads in a flash and I can do the work and be done in less time than it takes to launch PhotoShop.

For someone who is intimidated by PhotoShop, I would look hard at Elements as a second choice.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information