Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using your IPhone as Dive Computer

TadPole
    wow. this is really cool stuff ...for person who foraging applications only for dive log & dive planner, nitrox calc, DiveMateGPS is not bad.
    I think it's the best among app store applications for dive log and planner.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Saw it at the show; not in production yet. Pre-orders for delivery next year.

Only works with Iphone 4, as I brought in my original Iphone for them to demo the product for me and was told the case would not accommodate it. Physically, I found it underwhelming.

Personally, the phrase I use in these cases is A product in search of a market.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Grouper
    Thanks for the info...not that I am interested for myself. Resurrect this thread in a year and lets see where it had gone.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    Saw it at the show; not in production yet. Pre-orders for delivery next year.

Only works with Iphone 4, as I brought in my original Iphone for them to demo the product for me and was told the case would not accommodate it. Physically, I found it underwhelming.

Personally, the phrase I use in these cases is A product in search of a market.
    Their news release said it works with the IPod also. I hesitate using my IPhone but you can pick up IPods fairly cheap.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Their news release said it works with the IPod also. I hesitate using my IPhone but you can pick up IPods fairly cheap.
    You are correct; the question---like the IPhone---is this limited to a specific version of the IPod?
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Shark
    No one here has brought up the general unreliability of current phones... smartphones are not the most stable platform, whether it be android, windows or apple... I'm not saying that all dive computers are perfect, as I have witnessed a number of failures of them myself, but, the less specific a device becomes, the more you open it up for potential failure... its easy to make a clock be 100% reliable, but, make that clock do 100 other things, many of them at the same time, and there is more potential for the code to get screwed up and the device crash...

that would be the most important part about this - how would the device handle a phone reboot or crash in the middle of a dive? how would it attempt to prevent it?
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    No one here has brought up the general unreliability of current phones... smartphones are not the most stable platform, whether it be android, windows or apple... I'm not saying that all dive computers are perfect, as I have witnessed a number of failures of them myself, but, the less specific a device becomes, the more you open it up for potential failure... its easy to make a clock be 100% reliable, but, make that clock do 100 other things, many of them at the same time, and there is more potential for the code to get screwed up and the device crash...

that would be the most important part about this - how would the device handle a phone reboot or crash in the middle of a dive? how would it attempt to prevent it?
    That is why I would carry a back up. I do it on any computer unless it is a simple quarry or lake dive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information