Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hollis "Game Changer" Explorer Sport Rebreather

Barracuda
    So with the Poseidon Discovery this makes two "recreational rebreathers" on (or coming to) the market. Although ~$6000 isn't very recreational to me... that's a lot of beer and hookers....
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Sport rebreathers are likely to hit a sub-5k mark sooner or later including training. I would also disagree that rec divers won't be diving them as there is a class of rec divers where upfront price isn't a huge concern. Semi-closed rebreathers offer long dives for a lot less gas. It takes a lot of dives to get back to even, but the ability to stay down for a couple hours per dive is worth it to some divers. Lastly while semi-closed isn't as proven as open circuit it is likely relatively safe.

Barracuda
    Images
    Check out the Kiss Gem dive extender, on the market now and targeted for the rec market and well under 5000 range and they have a sidemount version coming out soon. Base GEM kit runs 3250.00. I bet the Hollis one is going to be in the 5,000.00 range
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Never heard of the Gem but it looks interesting. Took a quick peak and will go back later to see what it is really about. For that kind of money it might be worth it.

Barracuda
    Images
    Here is a early version of the GEM that we played with in the pool, this was before KISS bought out the the guys that developed it. There is no electronics what so ever. Even the current one has only electronics to monitor the functions not controlling the unit.

rebreathertank.jpg
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Hmmm, looks pretty sweet. I might seriously look into the GEM.

I had to laugh, I opened a file on the KISS website and showed the GEM on a tank with BC. They didn't cover up everything as far as to whom the BC manufacturer. It's a Zeagle according to the inflator button.

Barracuda
    Images
    My LDS called Hollis and the Explorer does not have a release date but it has been approved for the PADI rec rebreather coarse. On another thread about Hollis SM50 it's not even in production and they are still negotiating prices and demand, after that is settled it would take at least 90 days to get to market. My LDS has a SM50 on pre-order.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Grouper
    Oh boy one of those deals. I got burnt a couple of times with the pre order thing and swear never to do it again. If I can't wait then I don't need it. It will still be interesting to see where the Hollis rig goes.

Grouper
    What did you think of the GEM? The more I look the more I like. Cost and everything just seems to be a lot better.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    What did you think of the GEM? The more I look the more I like. Cost and everything just seems to be a lot better.
    I almost purchased one before Kiss bought them out but then it was $2500 with training. If I lived in Florida or somewhere with good blue water diving I would look at one seriously but I leave in Kansas where a lake is area that is just a little to wet plow.

As far as the LDS pre-order - it's the LDS ordering them and if I like it purchase one. If a LDS whats a deposit on a pre-order item that isn't custom like prescription mask, I would walk and find a new LDS. There isn't even pricing yet on the SM50 nor any real specs.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information