Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tank straps

Guppy
    Images
    I picked up two of the scuba solutions bands the other day as an early xmas gift to myself.
    They are nice.
    A little pricey for some straps, but to me they are worth every penny.

It took me all of 8-10 seconds to do both straps on a tank with them on my Z Ranger.
    I hated the straps on my Ranger before, but now I love them.
    The old ones were difficult sometimes to get it on tight and in the right spot, at the same time.

I Should have gotten these a long time ago.
    I really like the ratchet mechanism, and it's adjustable on the strap.
    It seems very sturdy and locks down tight with little effort.
    AOW - Nitrox

Grouper
    Images
    anyone tried these with weight pockets? I use two pockets on my bottom strap for trim and I'm wondering if these would be sturdy enough to hold 10 lbs (2/5's).

I use the Scuba Solutions with two weight pockets usually holding 8-10lbs. Not a problem and could easily hold a lot more. I actually purchased one for this purpose as my Zuma only has one tank strap and it is low. I use a second strap to hold just weight and this unit is perfect for that. I actually liked the system so much I bought another one to replace the bottom strap.

Nice feature to these is switching tanks. I can pop my reg off, put it on the new tank, pop the BC off and put it on the tank. With over the top bands I had to pull the regs, pull the BC, put the BC on then put the regs on in that order. This often meant the regs sitting on a bench or over my shoulder while I moved everything else around. Minor convenience but still nice. Another really nice feature is the ability to go from a 7.25" tank to an 8" tank with no adjustment to the strap.

Also, I would say that a traditional cam band is not easy to thread. I see A LOT of them improperly threaded on boats. It isn't difficult once you know how but the first time I did it I had to look at a diagram. Even getting them easy to use and snug took a while since the straps were still stiff and hadn't stretched.

Guppy
    Images
    ditto what straegen said, I love these things and they will definately hold trim weight.
    I couldn't believe how easy it is for switchout.
    AOW - Nitrox

Grouper
    Glad to see a review. Still too pricey for my cheap wallet.

Shark
    seeing I bought it off u I am sure you can answer this. The bp/w I got I put my zeagle rear pockets off my ranger on it, they dont work to well as they ten to come off when the tank ant attached, not a big deal but could be if they came off during a tanks switch on a boat and went unnoticed. What pockets would u recommend for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    I use the Scuba Solutions with two weight pockets usually holding 8-10lbs. Not a problem and could easily hold a lot more. I actually purchased one for this purpose as my Zuma only has one tank strap and it is low. I use a second strap to hold just weight and this unit is perfect for that. I actually liked the system so much I bought another one to replace the bottom strap.

Nice feature to these is switching tanks. I can pop my reg off, put it on the new tank, pop the BC off and put it on the tank. With over the top bands I had to pull the regs, pull the BC, put the BC on then put the regs on in that order. This often meant the regs sitting on a bench or over my shoulder while I moved everything else around. Minor convenience but still nice. Another really nice feature is the ability to go from a 7.25" tank to an 8" tank with no adjustment to the strap.

Also, I would say that a traditional cam band is not easy to thread. I see A LOT of them improperly threaded on boats. It isn't difficult once you know how but the first time I did it I had to look at a diagram. Even getting them easy to use and snug took a while since the straps were still stiff and hadn't stretched.

Grouper
    I got two of the Scuba Solutions straps for my wife. The buckle does not have two independant levers; so if one side gets pulled it releases the latch. She has used them on 9 dives in warm water so far. We have only one problem with them and that is when we adjust them for the 7 1/2 tanks. The strap has 4 groumets for adjusting the plastic strap part for the size of the tank. After moving the plastic strap, the buckle end catches on the groumets when the strap is tightened. She will probably never use a tank larger than 7 1/2, so I plan on cutting off some of the strap including at least one of the groumets. This should solve the problem. Another solution could be to just fold the strap under. You probably could even get longer screws which could go through two groumets. If anyone would like, I could post pictures later.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Exclamation Scuba Solutions - Tank Strap Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Hope I understand what you are asking for. There are a few that lock in place without going over the tank but this is the hot new one:

Scuba solutions USA.AVI - YouTube

Scuba Solutions USA, LLC - Home
    Scuba Solutions - Easy Tank Strap

Tank Strap Fails when Wet: The Easy (to lose your) Tank Strap

Link to review: Tank Strap Fails when Wet: The Easy (to lose your) Tank Strap | ScubaGadget - The Deep Background on Scuba Dec. 29, 2011

One Major Problem – Don’t Add Water
    In spite of some doubts about quality of the build and the durability of the product — and, after struggling with the recommended but kludgy adjustment – the landside testing was fine. The Easy Tank Strap really did make it easy to snap on the tank and cinch it down tight. But after starting the first test dive, I immediately noticed a problem. My tank was loose and sliding out. I was a bit surprised because I was using a two strap system so they both had to be loose. I gave the straps the benefit of the doubt and just considered that I had not tightened the ratcheting latch far enough, I lay on the bottom while my buddy gave them another crank.

But something was still amiss. I could not find my pony regulator and after a consultation we realized the pony tank was missing. We retraced our short dive path and found it near the start of the dive. I reloaded, cranked the straps way down and completed the dive with all tanks on board. We noted that straps were again slightly loose at the end of the dive.
    DevilDiver

I read this as well DevilDiver but I have not had the problems reported by Scuba Gadget. Probably because I always wet mine before locking them down which if memory serves is something that is taught in OW training and on the PADI videos. It could also be that over time they stop stretching as much when wet. Certainly worth posting as an advisory though. Still like mine but time will tell if they hold up or develop problems.

Big, use a clip to keep the weight pockets from sliding off. They make some inexpensive plastic ones that clip onto a belt or strap that should work nicely.
    Last edited by Straegen; 01-04-2012 at 16:16.

Grouper
    When we received our straps, there was a note with them to wet them before use. I also remember from OW certification that we were told to wet the straps before use. I don't see this as a big problem. It may be a pain at times, but not a big problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information