Thread: Mako DPV wiring

Grouper

Mako DPV wiring

I'm sure that some of you have seen me venting that things aren't going as planned with a Mako repair that I am helping with. We bought it off E-bay with no batteries. So we bought the batteries, wired them correctly, plugged everything in and nothing. So we ended up taking the bottom bulkhead out and found that most of the wiring was disconnected. I'm thinking that the motor is fried but it isn't.
    So we bought new reed switches and a new relay. Wired everything according to a schematic that I found online, plugged everything in and it fries one of the reed switches. So we looked at everything one more time, bypass the reed switch that fried and tried it again. This time it does nothing. One more try and it fries the second reed switch. After cutting both switches out and just connecting the ends we try again, this time nothing. Which leads me to believe that the new relay is bad. Can anyone help me out here? I've tried to find out how to test the relay and all I find is the auto type that you connect both the + and - to the relay. This one you only connect the +.
    For those that aren't familiar with the relay, it has a 24V input tab, one marked POS and one marked RS1. The 24V one is to be the one for the battery, the POS is to be the motor and the RS1 is the + side of the reed switch.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I'm sure that some of you have seen me venting that things aren't going as planned with a Mako repair that I am helping with. We bought it off E-bay with no batteries. So we bought the batteries, wired them correctly, plugged everything in and nothing. So we ended up taking the bottom bulkhead out and found that most of the wiring was disconnected. I'm thinking that the motor is fried but it isn't.
    So we bought new reed switches and a new relay. Wired everything according to a schematic that I found online, plugged everything in and it fries one of the reed switches. So we looked at everything one more time, bypass the reed switch that fried and tried it again. This time it does nothing. One more try and it fries the second reed switch. After cutting both switches out and just connecting the ends we try again, this time nothing. Which leads me to believe that the new relay is bad. Can anyone help me out here? I've tried to find out how to test the relay and all I find is the auto type that you connect both the + and - to the relay. This one you only connect the +.
    For those that aren't familiar with the relay, it has a 24V input tab, one marked POS and one marked RS1. The 24V one is to be the one for the battery, the POS is to be the motor and the RS1 is the + side of the reed switch.
    Clara,

I can likely help but I'd like a little more info. Also - do you or anyone in your group know how to use a DMM/voltmeter/multimeter?

First - Where is the schematic you found online?

Once I see that - I could give you direction on how to start testing parts of the scooter. Once you know what works, then its just hooking it up.

Of course - depending on where you are in Indiana - (specifically how close to Lafayette), it might be as easy to see it in person.

Let me know - PM if you want more contact info.

Mike

Grouper
    We got it. After checking most of the wires we found that there were several shorts. Didn't surprise anyone since most of the wiring was smashed flat in one place or another. This was causing the relay to not work properly. That is all taken care of now.

I ended up ordering 10 reed switches from Hong Kong for the same price that I would have paid for 1 and shipping from the US. Knew I should have ordered more on the original order.

Thread Information