Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lobster divers- NBC tonight 10pm

Guppy
    Images

Lobster divers- NBC tonight 10pm

I saw that on NBC tonight (monday 11/21/11) on the show "Rock center w/ Brian Williams" is doing a segment on professional lobster divers in Honduras.
    Should be interesting.
    Just passing it on. :-)
    AOW - Nitrox

Guppy
    Images
    Also, There is a show coming on Friday 11/25/11 called "Shark Attack Experiment" - LIVE on nat geo wild channel.
    And If you missed the show "Lost Sharks of Easter Island" on Nat Geo Wild, it comes on again the 27th.
    Showed lots of diving.
    AOW - Nitrox

Barracuda Founding Member
    Thanks I guess I'll set the dvr
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Guppy
    Images
    Looks like the bumped that story about the lobster divers.
    But watch the other two, they are good..
    AOW - Nitrox

Guppy
    Images
    Watched the shark attack live thing last night. what a joke.
    It was so ridiculous, the "experiments" they did were so bad..

Although the bling test they did was quite eye opening, the sharks went right after the shiny stuff.
    So no wearing bling while diving. lol..
    And the test of the diver wearing the ots communications, the sharks went right after him when he started talking on it..
    Something with the vibration or frequency set them off.

At the end, one of the cameramen wrote a song about being a great white shark that was hilarious.
    I recorded it on my phone.

The lost sharks of easter island show was alot better though..
    AOW - Nitrox

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/lobster-trap-honduran-divers-die-hunting-red-g

NBC just played this again tonight and it was the 1st time I saw it.

I could not believe Natalie Morales was blaming people who like to eat lobster as the reason people in Honduras get the bends/paralysis/ etc. etc. and implying we in the U.S. are primarily to blame.

The only suggestion they gave was to send a hyperbaric chamber and more physicians to help them once they get the bends and then therapy months later.

Pathetic.....

The suggestion should have been for the Honduran Government to replace dive operations that fail to train divers and give them or require gauges before diving etc. etc. etc. any is better than no training on nitrogen narcosis and the possibility and possible prevention of the bends. Prevention is always better than therapy treatment and it was unbelievable that they did not mention this on NBC TV tonight.

In my opinion NBC failed miserably in implying this was the fault of people eating Lobster.
    TRUST:::Believing in the honesty and integrety of others...He took me into his confidence...

Images
    There was an article in one of the dive magazines about a year ago on the lobster diving in Honduras. Didn't see the show, but the article was all about how they dive down risking their lives without much equipment if any for the lobster. The slant was basically how a poverty rid in country does what it has to do to get by.

Snagel

Images
    I'd like to see a scientific study on colors. I swear when I wear my yellow splits I get more fish attacking. I even had a moray get my finger. It's just a feeling, but I sure would like to see some science on that. Has anyone else noticed that?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/f...2/pa020049.jpg
    --Zeagle Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    There was an article in one of the dive magazines about a year ago on the lobster diving in Honduras. Didn't see the show, but the article was all about how they dive down risking their lives without much equipment if any for the lobster. The slant was basically how a poverty rid in country does what it has to do to get by.

Snagel
    Video link from last night Rock Center: Lobster Trap: Honduran divers die hunting 'red gold' - Bing Videos

Unbelievable for the people in the U.S.A. to even now be blamed for deaths in other countries when we eat lobster.

Before blaming the U.S.A., the other countries should: 1. shut down operators injuring their people. 2. educate operators & people diving 3. require license/certification for air fills etc. 4. establish minimum safety precautions such as gages for divers 5. use local law enforcement and stop offenders

Interesting that the good doctor would carry the people back to the work boats after treatment.
    Interesting that the owners of the boat operation were not interviewed.
    Interesting that the good doctor is simply requesting more hyperbaric chambers and medical help to simply help his business of returning the workers to the boat operators.
    Interesting that no government officials were interviewed as to why they are allowing the boat operators to continue operation with untrained divers and without proper dive equipment.
    Last edited by emt; 01-03-2012 at 08:55.
    TRUST:::Believing in the honesty and integrety of others...He took me into his confidence...

Barracuda Founding Member
    I saw the Lobster trap report. The only ones blaming the US were the reporters, typical sensationalizing an issue to get better ratings. The Hondurans didn't want the US to stop eating lobster. This is a Honduran problem, they should be regulating the equipment and training for these divers. One basic piece of equipment was a pressuare gauge so rather than shooting to the top when they reach zero psi.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information