Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Logging Solo Dives

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    Insta buddies suck.......can't really emphasize more haha.

Good on ya eagle for likely saving that guy a chamber ride.

And big, good to hear you dont do that anymore. Its a good idea always to stay within arms reach of your buddy and always have a lost buddy drill planned before the dive
    I've read more than a few times that if you're not diving with a buddy you know, you're more than likely solo diving whether you realize it or not.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by XS-NRG View Post
    From what I've read it seems like people won't go deeper than 30 feet, which is good protocol seeing as how you could CESA effectively and safely from that depth should something go wrong.
    Personally I'll go as deep as recreational depths (130') solo. I've very recently logged dives to 88 and 93 feet. Almost all of my solo dives go below 30 feet - probably average 60-80 feet max depth and 30-45 feet average depth. I plan to never make a CESA - redundancy, redundancy, redundancy plus caution, planning, practice, more caution, more planning, and repeat.

As far as logging dives - I list my buddy as Al-13 or Al-19 and sign as the same. I record all the dive data from my computer and leave it at that. Since I have no interest in professional or master ratings it's not an issue. I may, at some point, want a solo card - I'm not sure why. If my LDS won't accept my 200++ solo dives toward the card, well then, do I really need it? I'm told that most operations don't recognize a solo card and I dive mostly shore anyway. If I'm on a boat (day trip or live aboard) there are almost always people who will agree to "buddy in the same ocean". In most circumstances I don't mind buddying with someone and even find it enjoyable. The solo fetish is because I truely believe I'm alone down there and solely responsible for my own butt. I log my dives for my own edification.

Megalodon
    Images
    I'm hearing about more and more boats that allow Solo if you have the card and all the redundant gear. I got the card because one of the places I dive (Captains John's - Oronogo) wouldn't let me without it and now that I have it, they never question whether on not I have a buddy when I get there. I have a lot of respect for John and do not want to hinder the good relationship I have with him and Oronogo.

Buddy: Al-19 I like that Charon!!!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    That is pretty good, I have never thought about listing AL30 as my buddy. I always just write solo. It is what is and if they dont like oh well. I would rather depend on myself than someone I dont know. A person will never know how another person will react in a life and death situation. So I would rather be prepared to help myself than to find my help has left me. Hard to get a second chance if things are really going bad. Where I go I they do not question the solo and I just tell them basically where I will be at so they know where I am at.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Grouper
    One great reason to become trained and equipped to dive solo is that it makes you an excellent buddy. If you can save your own butt you are much better prepared to help someone else.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by russp View Post
    I've read more than a few times that if you're not diving with a buddy you know, you're more than likely solo diving whether you realize it or not.

Absolutely, also think about being a DM or an Instructor with nothing but students......no offense to the students, but you are solo diving....can't really rely on them to deal with something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information