Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are my cookies?

Hybrid View

Talking Where are my cookies?

I've been buying a piece here and a piece there but tonight I completed it. I now have my BP/W setup:

- Halcyon Pioneer Wing (thanks Fox Hound)
    - STA and cam bands (thanks again Fox Hound)
    - Custom backplate
    - Halcyon harness
    - Scubapro Jetfins
    - HP100 tank (two so I can double them later)

Going to the pool next Saturday to try it out. Be interesting to see how much (or should I say little) weight I'll need.

One of the buckles has a crack in it. Do you think Krazy Glue will work on plastic cam bands? Or I could always borrow the cam bands from my old BCD.

This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda
    Plastic dive gear with a crack tends to have a crack that will get bigger and fail when the failure will be noticed most. Replace. ..and if new stuff look for a lil warranty action.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Barracuda
    ps... The cookies... Navy ate them...Have seen the pics...blame him.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Megalodon
    Images
    Hey now....YOU ATE SOME TOO!!!

Congrats on the purchase 888. I totally agree with Daveotwz: Replace the buckles. I'd also recommend replacing both just to be on the safe side. The better choice would be to replace them with a couple of stainless steel bands - a good brand (Dive Rite, Hollis, Halcyon, etc.) will usually last the life of the rig.

If you needs some 8" bands, let me know...I have a pair that I'm not using.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Hey dude, had no idea one had a crack in it. Im gonna be down your neck of the woods from the 25th till just after new years.....I can replace it for you if you like.

ETA: I can also bring some cookies with me........

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    Hey dude, had no idea one had a crack in it. Im gonna be down your neck of the woods from the 25th till just after new years.....I can replace it for you if you like.

ETA: I can also bring some cookies with me........
    That would be totally cool. The crack is in the part you tuck the strap into. The buckle is functional as far as holding the tank and the velcro holds the strap well enough. If you have a band you can part with that would be great. I might try PVC glue, like Straegen suggests. I'm going to look into buying new cam bands this summer.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    That would be totally cool. The crack is in the part you tuck the strap into. The buckle is functional as far as holding the tank and the velcro holds the strap well enough. If you have a band you can part with that would be great. I might try PVC glue, like Straegen suggests. I'm going to look into buying new cam bands this summer.
    Sorry man didnt even notice it, i will def bring one down with me

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    Sorry man didnt even notice it, i will def bring one down with me
    It is hard to notice. I've just been playing with it a lot. New (to me) gear. I am all excited about trying it out in the pool on Saturday.

Best to replace but if you HAVE to repair it the best use would be PVC glue. It will melt the plastic and fuse it back together. If you go this route test on something unimportant first and make sure you do it in a VERY well vented area.

Again best to replace the damaged parts rather than repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    Best to replace but if you HAVE to repair it the best use would be PVC glue. It will melt the plastic and fuse it back together. If you go this route test on something unimportant first and make sure you do it in a VERY well vented area.

Again best to replace the damaged parts rather than repair.
    Tried the PVC glue. It melted the plastic but for some reason it didn't stick. Don't think PVC glue works on all plastic buckles. I did notice there were four different types of glue to pick from. PVC, ABS, CPVC and all purpose. Since I didn't know what kind of plastic it is I went with all purpose.

Ended up using some steel wire. I was able to wrap it perpendicular to the crack and it is holding it great. Regardless, bought two new straps. Keeping one of the straps as a backup and the other strap as an OMG, I'm desperate backup.

I was going to sell my BCD then I realized I need my BCD in order to demonstrate skills (putting on a BCD on the surface and putting on a BP/W is totally different). In a pinch I can always take the straps from my BCD and use them on my STA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information