Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 dives and accomplishments

Grouper
    Images
    I need to put relocation to SFL on my dive goals.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

TadPole
    Got my OW done this year... Had been meaning to learn to dive for the last 6 years but had all kinds of excuses not to. Met some really cool folks, joined a local dive club that I did not know exsisted. Was able to aquire a lot of gear from a retireing member of our club. Got my drysuit and am itching to dive MORE!!! (Do they make a cream for that???)

Grouper
    I'm not sure how many dives I did this year. Almost once a week, every week, at Blue Heron Bridge. Does a 2 1/2 - 3 hour dive still count as just one dive?

I got through all the training to be a STOP (turtle nest monitoring) volunteer and can hit the beach running this March.

Tall Guy and I made four non-diving trips to Ecuador. I still have a long ways to go but feel like I've turned a corner with my photography. And I made some really wonderful new friends. (You know who you are)!

A lot to be thankful for this year!
    "The sea is not out to get you. It does not even know you exist."

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Clara, he's doing a bit of bragging, again!
    Must be making up for something else!

Barracuda
    My dive goal for 2011 was to do the IDC which I never found time to actually do, but I was able to go to Cozumel twice and the Bahamas once. Not bad for a "local diver". In 2012 I'd like to make it back to the Bahamas and Cozumel, I figure if I plan to go there it won't happen and I'll end up somewhere else. Maybe the South Pacific finally!
    Met a bunch of interesting people diving this year, only 3 or 4 ST board members however!
    Hopefully, I'll be doing my last dives of the year this Friday weather permitting!
    I won't plan on doing my New Year's midnight dive this year and maybe I'll end up doing it.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Guppy
    2011 had been a good year until Nov. I have 52 dive including 9 beautiful Morehead City NC wreck / shark dives in June. Did the wreck of the Neptune II, 1st dive for me on this wreck, did the Ogandaga 3xs . Dived Castle Hill, Gooseberry Island, Comorant Rock, Green Bridge Rocks, Newport, RI.
    Numerous shore dives from Jamestown and Newport, RI where I took hundreds of pictures.
    Since Nov. Ive had family issues to deal with and my dry suit hangs on its hanger waiting for its next dive. L

Barracuda Founding Member
    For 2011 I did not dive often but did has 2 firsts: My first dive local to me off the NJ coast. 80ft dive with a bottom temp of 57F, this was a big test for me since I haven't dove cold. When I got in the dark water my initial feeling was of panic, but training took over I stopped checked my gear and descended on the line. By the time I hit the bottom I was comfortable (cool not cold) and beginning to enjoy myself. I stayed close to the line (luckily my buddy was looking for something near the stern where we were tied off). During the 2nd dive of the day I felt comfortable.

My 2nd first of the year was diving off Hatteras, NC. This was warm, relatively high vis dive that I was comfortable with.

My wish for 2012 is to get more time diving.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]2011 had been a good year until Nov. I have 52 dive including 9 beautiful Morehead City NC wreck / shark dives in June.
    Glad you had good luck in Morehead and that you loved it. I do! It was a good season until about August 1 and then the weather got a bit tempermental and about half of the dives were called. I love our sandies. Did you have any dives where you had huge numbers of them? Those are so awe inspiring, to drop and count many dozens. Best with your family issues.

Quote Originally Posted by cgvmer View Post
    My 2nd first of the year was diving off Hatteras, NC. This was warm, relatively high vis dive that I was comfortable with.

My wish for 2012 is to get more time diving.
    I've never heard Hatteras described that way although I hear the diving is great. Try Morehead or Wilmington some time. That will get you closer to the Gulfstream and into warmer and clearer water.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Lulabelle I dove Hatteras 4 days after diving off NJ so I went from 57F and 6ft vis to 78F and 60ft vis.... ergo warm and relatively high vis... I would love to dive Morehead or Wilmington, but I was staying in Corrolla and already had a 11/2 hour drive.
    Last edited by cgvmer; 12-22-2011 at 07:52.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Shark
    General Achievements:
    -Got a special someone
    -I went above and beyond on one of my new years resolutions, completed another, and fell somewhat short on another (though it's still an achievement):
    -----Stayed out of the hospital for one full year (friday will be the one year anniversary, anyways)
    -----Started playing TWO instruments (resolution called for one)
    -----Lost 30lbs (resolution called for 100, but can't complain, seeing as I barely did anything)

Diving Achievements:
    -Several really nice dives*
    -All preped for certification (all I need is my photo and the final exam).
    -May be able to fit into my wetsuit soon
    -Started saving up for new gear.
    * = God was very kind to me, as whenever we were planning to dive, the forecast would be horrible. After much begging, we went to see the conditions (I will obviously call a dive if they are poor), and every time, the forecast was wrong.

Great year, actually
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information