Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow love the bp/w

Shark

wow love the bp/w

well got my bp/w and gear changes done and dive ready. Got the bp/w setup for me, changed the hoses before we left for florida and got in the pool yesterday. Did my weight check with me, then me with the bp,w and then me the bp,w and my wetsuit, so I know how much I need for myself, myself geared up no suit and with a suit. I did it with a full take and figured an extra 6 pound for the tank swing to empty(luxfer 80). I noticed my band scratch the tanks(told dad to buy unpainted) so I got the black older one which is thermo pro so get to us my din .
    Trimed out and I can run the pool end to end 2 inchs of the bottom without touching. hard to do when the pool goes from 2 feet to 6 feet deep

First I noticed the tank and plate sit alot higher and close to my back, so I had to adjust from sitting the bc low on the tank(had to with my ranger ltd). The hog harness fits me perfect, so did not even need to change out the harness,

I got a question, is their an adapter to mount my zeagle 60 pound wing to my backplate? the zeagle wing has the clips that go on the straps but I was wanting to mount it like the one is thats on their now, if not is it ok to mount it on the straps with the bp?

From full to empty the tank buoyancy will change 5.6 pounds. So an extra 6 pounds is good.

Not familiar with the Zeagle 60 pound wing. Are you diving single or double tanks? If you are diving doubles then any compatible wing should just make sense. The doubles will be held together by bands. Between the tanks will be two bolts which attach the bands to the plate. A proper wing will have two holes (with grommets) which the bolts go through. So the whole set up will be double tanks, wing, plate then you. If you cannot do this then the wing probably isn't right for doubles.

If you are diving single tank, 60 pound wing seems overkill. It will taco around the tank and create a great deal of resistance. Most people dive anything from a 18 pound to 30 pound wing on an AL80 single tank set up.

Regardless, when setting up for a single tank, you probably need a Single Tank Adaptor or STA. This is the one I use: OMS Single Tank Adapter discounts on sale OMS. The proper setup for a single tank BP/W would be single tank, STA, wing, plate then you

There are some wings which don't need a STA but from what I have heard, it never hurts to use a STA. The wings which don't need one work but the tank isn't held quite as firm as with a STA.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Make the adapter yourself. I'm in the process of making one myself for my 35# ad 45#. Four inch webbing going up and down, two grommets, webbing going across. Triglides if wanted/needed. I'm taking mine to the local shoe guy to have it stitched.

Grouper
    Images
    If you are diving without a wetsuit you'll need the full amount of weight to offset the changes from a full to empty tank. If you are wearing a wetsuit the full extra isn't needed because the suit will be compressed during the descent and stay at least partially through your safety stop. I find I generally don't need the delta weight at all if wearing a 7mm wetsuit.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by rawalker View Post
    If you are diving without a wetsuit you'll need the full amount of weight to offset the changes from a full to empty tank. If you are wearing a wetsuit the full extra isn't needed because the suit will be compressed during the descent and stay at least partially through your safety stop. I find I generally don't need the delta weight at all if wearing a 7mm wetsuit.
    Personally, I would not give this advice to others. It might work for you but someone else might find themselves light at the end of the dive. Not everyone is wearing a 7mm wetsuit. And not everyone's wetsuit compresses as much as yours. Additionally, not everyone's lungs (also part of your buoyancy system) are the same.

The amount of weight you wear is most critical at the end of the dive. If I have 6 pounds of air in the tank and I use it up, I'll be 6 pounds lighter at the end of the dive. I'd rather be a little heavy than too light. Too heavy just means a little more air in the wing, more frequent adjustments as I descend. Too light means popping to the surface when I really don't want to. Getting hit by a boat is my biggest concern.

The only safe way to know you are properly weighted at the end of a dive is to take a near empty tank, get in the water and see if you can descend. If you cannot, you are light and need to add some weight. It really doesn't get much simpler than that.

If you want to be extra cautious, assume worse case scenario. You have a free flow, your tank goes completely empty and you are breathing off your buddy's octo. In which case, the NEAR empty tank isn't sufficient. Add 1 pound for every 500 PSI (assuming AL80) in the tank when you did the buoyancy check. NOTE: for a full tank, you'd add 6 pounds.

Shark
    what I meant was a way to mount my zeagle wing which is the 65 to my plate its this one Zeagle Tech 65 lbs Lift Bladder discounts on sale Zeagle. I will use the weight for the empty tanks thats what I have done, it is not that big of a deal to me. We did a xmas dive today I ran the same weight I figured minus the 6 for salt and it worked, I seemed alittle heavy but not much, going to leave it add 3 or 4 pounds for the ocean and I should be good in the ocean.

Grouper
    You can either make an adapter like I mentioned for your Zeagle wing or you bolt it to the plate like Zeagle wants you to. Personally I don't like the fact that I have a wing bolted to my plate. With the adapter I will be able to change wings in a flash..not that I need to.

bigman, sent that camera yet?

buddhasummer, he shipped UPS on December 21st. He even posted the tracking number on another thread.

Shark
    dam is everyone under a rock or in a cave, do we not have forum access on cave dives? can we get an app for that
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    buddhasummer, he shipped UPS on December 21st. He even posted the tracking number on another thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information