Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Caribbean destination suggestions?

Barracuda
    Put up a map of the Caribbean on your wall. Throw a dart at it. Go where the dart lands. Take pictures. Post trip report when you get back.

See how easy that was???
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Grouper
    Another Roatan vote, great diving, not bad prices. Good boat diving.

If you are more interested in renting a car and doing shore dives then curacao is great. The dive sites are extremely easy to find. The dive bus is extremely great at getting you set up for diving......highly recommended, the weather always seems to be great and good warm water temps.

I have yet to go to bonaire but a good diver friend of ours has been a few times and has really good things to say.

All in all, id say roatan would be best if you want to do chartered boat diving, and curacao if you want to go off on your own (they still do lots of boat diving too)

TadPole
    The Coz flights are generally around 360 if you book it a month out so it is not much more, if any, than Fla.

Galveston? Not too sure. I do know there is a place just south of me in the Gulf called "The Flower Gardens" that multiple dive shops use charter live aboards to make at least 3 trips to a year. However, the cost to do that is almost the same as what it takes to go to Coz and dive for 3 days...

There are some freshwater sites that are within a few hours of me but I couldn't imagine myself being all that excited about a freshwater dive after having only been in the Caribbean...haha Maybe just move down there...lol

I have heard lots of good reports about Honduras and those flights are direct from Houston and not too expensive so I think we will do that in June....
    .....just happy to be here....

TadPole
    Put up a map of the Caribbean on your wall. Throw a dart at it. Go where the dart lands. Take pictures. Post trip report when you get back.

See how easy that was???

Wow, I hit my wife in the shoulder!! Will definitely post some pics so that any photographers on here can critique and let me know what I'm doing right/wrong! haha

Images
    If you haven't been to Roatan, that is a good choice. We did all boat diving with Fantasy Island. If you are wanting an upscale all inclusive resort, than FI is not it. But, we were there before the new management took over and a few things have changed. The boat diving was great, 3 boat dives a day, but you had a pretty rigid schedule. We didn't do any shore diving...not sure if you can.

Snagel

TadPole
    We are definitely not looking for fancy but all-inclusive, yes. We were looking at Coco View and I recently looked at Henry Morgan....they both have pros & cons but lot of diving options! Thanks for the heads up about FI!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeRayMac View Post
    We are definitely not looking for fancy but all-inclusive, yes. We were looking at Coco View and I recently looked at Henry Morgan....they both have pros & cons but lot of diving options! Thanks for the heads up about FI!
    I/We have been to Henry Morgan three times-very nice, relaxed resort with an excellent diving operation on site. When the weather kicks up, they transport you to the other side of the Island by mini bus and you dive on the Coco View/FI reefs. Check earlier trip reports on Henry Morgan and Roatan. BTW, the great beach at Morgan gives super, off the beach snorkelling within a few 100 meters from the resort, and there are some very nice, relaxed bars and restaurants along the beach as well.

Images
    Cocoview and Fantasy Island share the same "cove" and reef area. In fact, you can see Cocoview from Fantasy Island and all boats go out and in the same way.

I don't really want to knock Fantasy Island and you have to take my review of it with somewhat of a grain of salt. We were there last year literally the last week before the new ownership took over. We had a good time, but the facility was in a horrible state and you can imagine what you get when the workers don't know if they will have a job the next week. From what I heard the weeks following the new management put a ton of money into the resort upgrading the rooms, facility, and food. (I also heard they ran out of money and things kinda stopped).

I will say that the dive operator at Fantasy Island was one of the best I've encountered. When we were there the boats were old, but they got new boats. In fact, a new boat was in the dock, but hadn't been prepped for full diving yet. The Diver Operation was very good and they took very good care of us and made sure we seen everything.

Snagel

TadPole
    The water close in to Galveston is pretty murky & brown with no coral or natural structure. There are a few options The MV Fling has liveaboard boat trips to the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank, there are rig dives onto offshore platforms,and around Padre Island there are trips to the sunken Texas Clipper. Other than that not much saltwater diving.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" John Wayne, The Shootist

TadPole
    Until United took over Continental and decided it was better to go to Newark (Or Chicago, or Denver) before you went to the Caribbean, Houston was great. Aruba, Curacao both are great. I enjoyed St. Kitts (Pro Divers). Love Belize--usually stay on Ambergris because wife doesn't dive. Would love to spend some time on Turneffe. Half Moon Caye was superb--2nd half of a Blue Hole dive (I've dove it once, and that's enough). Bahamas are also good--Stuart Cove's Divers is superb.

Come to think of it, I haven't found anywhere yet I wouldn't love to go back to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information