Thread: Do I need ankels weight.

TadPole

Do I need ankels weight.

Hi , I m a member of a scuba Diving Club in Argentina and recently we bought drysuites SEAC . I would like to know if someone has experience using this kind of equipment and specially if we need to use ankle weights ( opinions in Internet are divided , some say no , others say yes , and others it is optional ).As you can see English is not my first language.Thank you .Pedro

Megalodon
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. The internet is mostly right: Yes, no, perhaps. With all your gear on and in the water, do you float head down? If yes, then you need either ankle weights or maybe some gaiters. Gaiters fit around your lower legs to keep too much air from entering into the lower legs areas of the suit if you go feet up. I haven't dove dry suits for years, but thats the best, quick answer I can give.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I dive drysuit for 95% of my dives.....I started out with ankle weights, I don't wear them anymore.

The suit I have now doesnt really allow for much gas movement to the feet (which is what I want haha) plus I dive turtle fins which are fairly negative buoyant.

When I had my whites drysuit, the legs were pretty wide allowing for lots of gas to move to the feet and I had positive buoyant fins....I needed ankle weights to keep trim.

All that being said, you may need them, you may not.....do a few dives and make a decision.

Images
    When I first got my drysuit, I thought I would need ankle weights. I switched to a more negative fin and got more comfortable with controlling the bubble in the suit. I would suggest you to work with the suit for awhile and get comfortable with it. I suspect you are adding too much air and it is gathering in your legs. Once you gain confidence in the suit, I'm thinking this problem will go away.

You really don't want to mess with ankle weights unless you absolutely have too.

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    I think ankle weights should only be used as a last resort. First I would try to move my tanks up or down - use gators to prevent trapped air in the legs - switch to heavy fins - and as a last resort ankle weights. The only place I have used ankle weights is to put them around my tank valve for trim.

I think ankle weights increase the amount effort it takes to move underwater and also increases SAC rate a fairly large margin.
    - Dennis ><()))">

TadPole
    Ok.Very usefull answers. Thank you all.Pedro

Barracuda
    Images
    If you have floaty feet, get ScubaPro Jetfins. They are heavy.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    No. No. Nada. Nyet. Just say no to training wheels.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Thread Information