Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Ratchet

Shark

Air Ratchet

Technical question.

What fittings do I need to connect a standard air ratchet to a LP inflator hose?

Thanks.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Guppy
    You may need to create a frankenfitting. If you have a air nozzle you run off your LP you can use that fitting and buy the necessary adaptor(s) to attach it to the air tool. I don't know what the thread sizes are but any hardware store could probably set it up for you. A LDS may also sell those fittings as replacements and maybe could tell you what type size(s) threaded fitting(s) you'd need.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Technical question.

What fittings do I need to connect a standard air ratchet to a LP inflator hose?

Thanks.
    You might need to check/drop the IP a bit? Most wrenches work at around 90psi, a bit lower than most IPs?
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    You might need to check/drop the IP a bit? Most wrenches work at around 90psi, a bit lower than most IPs?
    Good point! You maybe be able to use an inline regulator which may also help with the attaching. Finding one for underwater use may be $$$$?

Grouper
    Thinking aloud here, so don't blame me if this explodes and removes your other eye, Largo.

What about taking a quick-release LP inflator nipple, tapping the inside, using a screw to regulate the pressure (the same way you make a flow regulator for O2 analysers) and hooking that to a standard air-tool fitting?

It'll be a touch fiddly to tune (take apart, adjust screw, put together, hook up gauge) but when done you'd have a QR connection on both ends that would do the job?

Or you could buy a cheap 1st stage & detune it to 90psi IP. :-)

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    What about taking a quick-release LP inflator nipple, tapping the inside, using a screw to regulate the pressure (the same way you make a flow regulator for O2 analysers) and hooking that to a standard air-tool fitting?
    That won't work. If you restrict the flow, it will not change the pressure... just the flow. Now I've used scuba tanks on air tools before, and I'll warn you, you won't get a lot of time. I had a drag for a tractor, and it had a bunch of 3/4 nuts. Probably loosen and tighten about 40 of them and your tank is about dead. And if you are doing it quickly, you start freezing the wrench up as well....

But if you just need to do some... get a diaphragm 1st stage, put on a standard inflator hose, then we can sell you a an inflator nipple. That has a standard thread and you can buy an air line quick disconnect for the tools, and screw it right in - depending on which you get - but worst case, a 2 dollar adapter at home depot.

Now keep in mind, you don't have any over pressure relief on this - so if you want to have an old octo hanging on there, the down stream valve will be your over pressure release... or you can buy one.

You use the diaphragm reg as it is easy to adjust it anywhere from 20 on up to 200 externally with just a big allen.

We can sell you a reg and most the parts you need... I have a set up like that at my paintball shop, the scuba shop, and my house. Very handy anytime you need HP air and don't have easy access to electricity or a compressor.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Foo2 poped in yesterday and now Largo today.

Its like old home week.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    That won't work. If you restrict the flow, it will not change the pressure... just the flow.
    Glad you're here. Had a feeling that I was talking ****e there. :-)

Shark
    Thank you.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Barracuda Founding Member
    Interesting project but sounds like a DIY project not DIR/TECH.....
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information