Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: matching gas

Grouper
    Largo, you always have a way with words and there shortly after stuff appearing all over my computer. I am going to have to use my toughbook to read your posts from now on!!!
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    Great. Now I need a new keyboard.

Still, at least I know which agency to bill for it.

Edit: The pre-edited version was funnier.
    It was funnier, but I didn't want to get banned.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    It was funnier, but I didn't want to get banned.

I dunno why you would get banned.....there was nothing bannable in it haha!

Beauty post BTW, I too almost lost a laptop haha

Barracuda
    I can only imagine...I have a few ex students that might be able to get a C-card from D.O.A.
    Big...Just go F'n dive, shallow... short dives and maybe retake your OW and learn . Also pull head from nether regions and really look at life and refocus, figure out what you really want to do then do it.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

To bring this back around to the original question, buy or rent what you would use today. Assuming you get to more advanced diving later on, it is very likely you will have a complete gear retrofit anyway. Planning for some possibility well down the road with limited knowledge and a limited budget will likely have you buying items you don't need or cannot use. If you think cave/wreck diving is close, rent tanks until you get through training and know what you will need. Besides, it takes a lot of dives before buying steel tanks pay off. Given the general hassle of filling, transporting, storing and maintenance I am not sure it makes a lot of financial sense for anyone save hardcore divers or those who cannot easily rent a tank.

Shark
    YOu make a point, with the boat my dad bought we will be diving alot. Given my SAC I think I am going to go with steels, dad plans to buy a 4th al80, so that would give us the ability to do a 3 dive day. Hopefully giving us about the same psi at the end, so we ant leaving with me a say 500 and him at say 1200, I dont know if thats much of a issue any more with my better SAC but we will see. The way I figured it locally it cost about 10 bucks to rent a tank, 5 to fill one. SO 5 bucks extra a dive it would take 100 dives to pay for the tank, thats not alot of diving when your right off the ocean, and in spring country. Plus if I go back to indiana, which is my plan ill have my two steels for local diving up there. Though since I plan to bounce back and forth between here and indiana till I finish school I might leave the steels for when I come down here and buy al80s for up there, there is not alot to see in the places I dive in indiana, so the extra air use would be better down here. Plus tanks on plane, bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    To bring this back around to the original question, buy or rent what you would use today. Assuming you get to more advanced diving later on, it is very likely you will have a complete gear retrofit anyway. Planning for some possibility well down the road with limited knowledge and a limited budget will likely have you buying items you don't need or cannot use. If you think cave/wreck diving is close, rent tanks until you get through training and know what you will need. Besides, it takes a lot of dives before buying steel tanks pay off. Given the general hassle of filling, transporting, storing and maintenance I am not sure it makes a lot of financial sense for anyone save hardcore divers or those who cannot easily rent a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    The way I figured it locally it cost about 10 bucks to rent a tank, 5 to fill one. SO 5 bucks extra a dive it would take 100 dives to pay for the tank, thats not alot of diving when your right off the ocean, and in spring country.
    The straight difference is usually around $5 on steels but only around $3 on 80s. However, a diver should include $10 or so a year to compensate for inspections and testing per tank. Also dives where tank rentals are provided at the dive site can save a diver quite a bit on gas and time since the diver doesn't have to drive to some place then back for the fill. If your log book is hitting 40+ dives a year or you dive mostly from your own boat, owning makes a lot of sense but if your log is less than that it may make a lot of sense to keep renting. It also often makes sense to rent if a diver is in transition from one style of diving to another.

Shark
    very true. Figure with the boat we will be diving alot. I know atleast for key largo the boat dives where with tanks, but most al80s I would likely eat the 7 or so bucks and take the steel 130s for the extra dive time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
    The straight difference is usually around $5 on steels but only around $3 on 80s. However, a diver should include $10 or so a year to compensate for inspections and testing per tank. Also dives where tank rentals are provided at the dive site can save a diver quite a bit on gas and time since the diver doesn't have to drive to some place then back for the fill. If your log book is hitting 40+ dives a year or you dive mostly from your own boat, owning makes a lot of sense but if your log is less than that it may make a lot of sense to keep renting. It also often makes sense to rent if a diver is in transition from one style of diving to another.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    35 dives????

Step away from the internet and get in A LOT MORE OW dives. Do not think of cave or open ocean wrecks for at least 5 years. And if you think of them in 5 years, lose a huge amount of weight. I do not think I would ever cavern, cave or big wreck dive with a guy in your shape. Too much risk.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    You should not be concerned with how many PSI you have at the end when you are both diving different tanks. You should be concerned with how many cubic feet of air are left.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information