Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: matching gas

Shark

matching gas

Not sure where I should have put this but since its more a gear question here goes.

Ok the insurance company is ready to settle for my wreck . a whole 8 months later. I want to get my tanks and some dive stuff when I get the money in a few weeks, but have a concern.
    We want to get into wreck diving and more so cave diving one day, not sure when but we both want to do it. I know in a normal ow dive this ant such a issue but it is when cave or even wreck diving. normally when we do a boat dive I go for the biggest tank I can get. Normally go for a steel 120 or 130(which I plan to buy) my buddy dives with al80s most of the time given I use more air we end the ow dive with us both having close to the same psi, though it is getting where my buddy gets low before me but not much.

So lets say one day were done with our cave training and were cave diving, if we go by 1/3s we turn when one of us is at 2/3s remaining most likely me. No I would have roughly 86 cuft my buddy 52 cuft, sure fine for him but what if its both of us if it took me 44cuft to get in and 28 for him that puts us at 82 cuft to get out sure I got enough for both barely he would be ooa with us being 30 cuft short. thus we both die. Not in the dive plan.
    He really does not want to dive big steel tanks I do for the buoyancy and air. So what do we do. My thought is one or both of us carry a pony tank slung for easy hand off say 40 cuft or maybe a 50 cuft tank. I notice the 50 is 19 inchs long and 6 inchs wide where the 40 is 27 inchs long, not sure the diameter it did not say. the 50 would more then cover me or him.

Thoughts will it work, dont do it, any better ideas. figure it would be a good addition for deeper dives where even though its ow the deep might require the extra air. Not figuring this into the dive plan just as a pony for an just in case redundant air source

Grouper
    Images
    Holy Crap Tim, there are so many things wrong with this post, it scares the hell out of me. Go find an instructor, there are plenty in Florida.
    Rick

Grouper
    First and foremost.......talk to an Instructor in person!!!!!!!!!

Secondly......you NEVER go into a cave/cavern/overhead enviroment (tech dives in OW are considered overhead because you cannot go directly to the surface) without redundant backup......caving on a single tank = bad ju ju.....pony bottle does not count.......you either want twin backmounted cylinders linked with a dual outlet isolation manifold or look into sidemount.

Third......The person who uses the least amount of gas usually has to carry the most gas.....simply to get their partner back from a lost gas situation

Fourth......pony bottles are NOT meant for a technical/cave dive......

Fifth......Matching gas, and gas planning begin long before the dive.....if you know you SAC rate, you can calculate the amount of gas you will use for a planned depth, and time.......Being OOA is NOT an option. Guessing at either 40 or 50cuft for a pony does not count as planning.
    Last edited by FoxHound; 01-07-2012 at 12:18.

Grouper
    Tim,
    How many dives do you have to date ?
    You are young, life is long, so take it slow.
    For now getting a pony to sling for open water is a good idea if you plan to go below 60 ft.
    You will be task loading your dives a little more as you learn, and you will get more comfortable as you go on.
    I am not a cave diver, and never will, if i want to keep living. (Wife told me this )
    I put it out there just so she can tell me something I am not going to do. This way I can do other things that I really want to do in exchange.

Hold off on any large purchases and get the training. You may find that your interests may change over time, and so will your gear.
    Having a few 120's or 130's is good investment, start there and build up over time and traning.

Jim Breslin

Shark
    foxhound
    I know redunancy is a big thing, and know doubles is a big part of it, was just going by a tank to keep the numbers simple. We have talked to a local shop who does everything from ow to full cave, no real hurry, just some thinking ahead. Of course you plan your dive and do not push it to a ooa issue, but stuff happens regs break values leak. But I did not know ponys were not apart of tech diving

Jbres were sitting at 34 or 35 dives most ocean with about 10 on wrecks, on not in. Like you said I see a pony being a good thin on a ow deeper dive, so will be adding it soon. I want the 130s for ow diving so they wont be dependent on tech diving.

time is our friend I ant in a hurry, there are alot of springs around considered ow dives to keep me busy for years to come I would guess

Grouper
    One of the things i would do is to see if you can get that local shop to do some dives with you, evaluate where you are at skill wise and some things to work on. Those instructors will give you the best course of action if you plan on sticking there with them.....its a lot better then internet diving. Maybe someone on here says that you should get such piece of kit....then you find out that for your course its not suitable and you spent a grand or so on it.

At 35 dives i will bet that trim and buoyancy control are going to be the biggest things to work on. Ask them about gear required for their courses and make a bit of a plan.

Tank wise.....you can never have too many tanks.

Glad to hear that time is your friend.

Grouper
    [QUOTE=FoxHound;467503]One of the things i would do is to see if you can get that local shop to do some dives with you, evaluate where you are at skill wise and some things to work on. Those instructors will give you the best course of action if you plan on sticking there with them.....its a lot better then internet diving.

Foxhound,

Oh, come on internet diving does have its advantages. No concern about running low on air, no NDL time limits, you can drink and type at the same time, and no bad gas. ( That is unless you had Mexican and some beers )

Tim,

A 120 or 130 would be a good tank for a man of your size. A 120 or 130 should be enough gas for just about any NDL dive you would want to go on.

Jim Breslin

Shark
    Trim and buoyancy is something I have worked hard on, our first 10 dives I had a hell of a time with it, mainly cause
    i was way over weighted and our ow class was alittle lacking
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    One of the things i would do is to see if you can get that local shop to do some dives with you, evaluate where you are at skill wise and some things to work on. Those instructors will give you the best course of action if you plan on sticking there with them.....its a lot better then internet diving. Maybe someone on here says that you should get such piece of kit....then you find out that for your course its not suitable and you spent a grand or so on it.

At 35 dives i will bet that trim and buoyancy control are going to be the biggest things to work on. Ask them about gear required for their courses and make a bit of a plan.

Tank wise.....you can never have too many tanks.

Glad to hear that time is your friend.

Shark
    I agree, from diving them before they fit me alot better then the al80s. hell with my bp
    i dont even notice an a80 cant wait to use it on a steel 130. [QUOTE=jbres1;467505]
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    One of the things i would do is to see if you can get that local shop to do some dives with you, evaluate where you are at skill wise and some things to work on. Those instructors will give you the best course of action if you plan on sticking there with them.....its a lot better then internet diving.

Foxhound,

Oh, come on internet diving does have its advantages. No concern about running low on air, no NDL time limits, you can drink and type at the same time, and no bad gas. ( That is unless you had Mexican and some beers )

Tim,

A 120 or 130 would be a good tank for a man of your size. A 120 or 130 should be enough gas for just about any NDL dive you would want to go on.

Jim Breslin

Shark
    I have yet to reach my internet ndl time, but my air is alittle low so I am going to breath harder

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information