Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking of downsizing my video rig

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images

thinking of downsizing my video rig

I have been dragging around a big video rig for several years now and I am tired of it. Since my husband has a monstrous still Dslr camera, we have real issues packing for trips, also. If we carry on both camera rigs (really creative carry-on packing!), then we have to pack the regulators in the dive bags and check them. Boo.

So, I am seriously thinking of getting this one:
    JVC Underwater Deluxe Video Package By Ikelite discounts on sale Ikelite

JVC package.... So what does everyone think of it now. I know 2 years ago we were all discussing it here, but not too many reviews. How long does the battery last? I like the video they have posted on the Ikelite website:
    Underwater Housing for JVC Camcorder
    It is not as good as what I get with my current rig, obviously, but it looks pretty nice and would be much easier to travel with!

thoughts?

robin

Images
    You can't go wrong with ikelite. I have a couple of them and they are awesome. Never had a leak, very ergonomic. I highly recommend the ikelite cases. My JVC piciso I would say is average and my JVC GRZ-300 has been amazing. For such a small camera the quality of the HD pixs has been flawless.

Be forewarned the JVC user manuals and software suck, especially the software. I ported the vids over to pinnacle and avid to make movies.

What's the model number of the JVC camera?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Images
    I use Pinnacle for editing my videos so that is what I will continue to use. I like it.

My current camcorder is a Canon HG-21, discontinued model, and I have an Ikelite housing. I have been using Ikelite since my first underwater film camera 11 years ago. That is one reason I was looking at this JVC package, I trust Ikelite products.

robin

Grouper
    Can't go wrong with the Ikelite housing. JVC camera..not sure.

Guppy
    mmm... i have the kodak zx5 with the ikelite under water and i think it did a pretty good job for $109 in amazon and a free ikelite housing(wedding gift)...

take a look at this thread, also in my youtube channel you can see the videos
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/uw-video-...-videos-37808/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9r-...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4kX...e_gdata_player

TadPole
    I'm going to be testing some cutting edge stuff on the Sony NEX-5N platform in the next few weeks. Camera, housing, and 160 degree WA lens for $1200. It has a big APS-C sensor and great low light performance. It will also do 1080p 60i video. Here is a picture of the camera next to my iphone case.

IMG_0093.JPG

Here is a link to someone else who chose to use a more expensive setup and a few months ahead of me. This should give you an idea of the picture quality..
    Sony NEX-5N Camera, 16mm f/2.8 Lens, 0.75X Wide-Angle Conversion Lens, and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom 100% crops and samples

Images
    My current rig is a cheap JVC camera with a homemade housing with PVC. My BOL build these and did an awesome job. Unfortunately, we both are on our 2nd cameras because of early design flaws that allowed the housings to flood. The housings were made specifically for these cameras and the cameras have been discontinued. They are getting hard to find. We have one spare camera and looking for another. I'm also looking at the setup that ScubaRobin is asking about and thinking that at some point this may be the best option. Looks fairly compact and I have used a similar video camera and they work very well and everything is digital. (My current setup uses digital tapes).

TadPole

Pictures of the NEX-5N housing

Here are pictures of the housing. Other divers who have ordered say it it compares it to the $200-$300 OEM Olympus and Canon units.,, It looks pretty cheap to me.

NEX5 Long Barrel Front Side.jpgNEX5 Long Barrel side.jpgNEX5 Long Barrel Front only.jpg

I found that the manufacturer did testing and got it rated to 40 meters for what that's worth. It does have limitations and cannot be compared to a Nauticam model but I'm hoping it will work well for the occasional / low demand UW shooter. The housing is $126 shipped but it takes a few weeks to get it.

Grouper
    Images
    I am now leaning more towards getting the GoPro Hero2 with the Backscatter underwater housing and red filter. Will be under $500, then I just need to find a tray/arm for it. Looks to be the best option out there right now, and tiny enough that it won't be an issue traveling or getting back on boat in rough seas.
    new housing: Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing Blur Fix Glass lens and Underwater Removable Filter Mount

watch this video demo: GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera
    watch this video demo: https://vimeo.com/35927975

robin

TadPole
    Cool Video!

I think it all depends on how deep you will be using it while diving, what your expectations are and what visibility you will have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information