Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're Moving to NW Ohio

Images
    I love Cleveland. Awesome city! It has changed so much in the past 20-30 years. I was there when the river caught on fire because it was so polluted. It's nice and clean now. Brutal winters though. I have always wanted to dive the break water next to the lakeside airport. Has anyone done that?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    I live in Columbus, so if you ever want someone to dive with let me know.

Images
    Will do, if you don't mind diving with an old fart. I am a bit of a rock/coral hugger now. I'm slow; but, I always get there. I'm thinking those rocks around the breakwater could produce some great pixs.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Findley, I've been through there. I have a brother in the Toledo area. Love the area in the summer and spring. I try to stay away in the winter.....it gets pretty cold.

I might be wrong here, but I'm thinking somebody told me Ben Rothlesberger, Steeler QB, is from Findley, OH.

Snagel

Great sports state if you are into that. Really good fans in Ohio despite some sub-par pro teams. Nice people as well.

Cedar Point is great if you have kids or love amusement parks: Park Info

Put In Bay if you like a bit of drinking, boating, partying, shopping, drinking, golfing, partying: Put in Bay | Put in Bay Hotel | Put in Bay Lodging | Put-in-Bay Ohio

Those were probably the other two great places to try out while you are there. Put In Bay is kinda like a seasonal Key West without the palm trees.

Guppy
    Thanks for all the input and opportunities to increase my post count . . .

Not big on spectator sports. I copped an attitude when the big strikes of the 1980's happened and stuck with it. Plus I'm a science & engineering geek. I'm forgiven a multitude of other sins by my wife by not making her a spectator sports widow.

Not into the party scene - I'm 'allergic' to alcohol as it's a guaranteed migraine trigger for me. I drank my lifetime fill in my early adulthood.

No kids, but thanks for considering such. We went to Cedar Point once. i have lower than average blood pressure so pulling G's is also a thing of the past for me.

Agree on nice people in Ohio, but it's still different from Texas or Louisiana hospitality. Every area is always a little different besides climate.

Besides scuba, my other main hobby is cooking, with an emphasis on outdoor cooking (barbeque / smoking meats and peppers). I will have to adapt techniques and maybe build some wind breaks to try to cook outdoors year round in Ohio. I abandoned this for the prior years we lived in ohio but resumed it zealously when we moved to SE Louisiana.

I'm happy Findlay has 2 bowling alleys. Bowling is something I haven't done while we've been in rural LA. A nice everyperson sport in a climate controlled environment is great wherever we are!
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Barracuda
    ok, you cook and dive...let me know when you are here, we will dive and you can cook!
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Besides scuba, my other main hobby is cooking, with an emphasis on outdoor cooking (barbeque / smoking meats and peppers). I will have to adapt techniques and maybe build some wind breaks to try to cook outdoors year round in Ohio. I abandoned this for the prior years we lived in ohio but resumed it zealously when we moved to SE Louisiana.
    Then you will probably LOVE the West End market. They do have a lot of strange German and Polish food vendors with some scary stuff (at least to me), but the meat, produce and bakery vendors are outstanding. So much fresh food in one place is impressive.

Hopefully their is a Buehlers near you. They source a lot of their foods from local vendors and have a nice Amish produce section in their stores.

Guppy
    No Buehlers near Findlay. The two closest are at Ashland (near Mansfield) and Delaware (near Columbus).

There are several in & around Wooster where our technical dive instructor lives, so maybe I'll stop by one if / when I start working on dry suit training.

There are coventional grocery stores in Findlay plus one specialty butcher shop I'll have to scope out.

If we go to Cleveland I'll have to stop by Trader Joe's as well as the West End Market. I've seen good reports on the net about TJ's.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Thanks for all the input and opportunities to increase my post count . . .

Not big on spectator sports. I copped an attitude when the big strikes of the 1980's happened and stuck with it. Plus I'm a science & engineering geek. I'm forgiven a multitude of other sins by my wife by not making her a spectator sports widow.

Not into the party scene - I'm 'allergic' to alcohol as it's a guaranteed migraine trigger for me. I drank my lifetime fill in my early adulthood.

No kids, but thanks for considering such. We went to Cedar Point once. i have lower than average blood pressure so pulling G's is also a thing of the past for me.

Agree on nice people in Ohio, but it's still different from Texas or Louisiana hospitality. Every area is always a little different besides climate.

I'm happy Findlay has 2 bowling alleys. Bowling is something I haven't done while we've been in rural LA. A nice everyperson sport in a climate controlled environment is great wherever we are!
    You will need more than a windbreak in the winter. Try 4 feet of snow.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information