Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We're Moving to NW Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    If we go to Cleveland I'll have to stop by Trader Joe's as well as the West End Market. I've seen good reports on the net about TJ's.
    I love Trader Joes. We visited regularly when we lived in Atlanta and we still have friends bring us their baked chicken tenders and Two Buck Chuck for my wife when they visit.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    You will need more than a windbreak in the winter. Try 4 feet of snow.
    I'm a member of an outdoor cooking web community as well. That forum even has Canucks who BBQ year round, and I'll be using some of the things that work for them. The forum has a similar friendly help each other atmosphere this one has.

My horizontal offset smoker is made from 1/4" steel, weighs 300 pounds, and might need a welder's blanket and a wind break around the firebox.

My vertical bullet smoker is made of thin steel but is very fuel-efficient relative to the horizontal offset design. I have an extra deep charcoal basket a welder on that forum built for me, and there are pics of three sided windbreaks as the most complex down to a thin sheet of metal stuck in a snowbank just upwind of such a rig that works for them. The vertical rig is great for overnight cook sessions with the addition of a remote thermometer system with user programmable alarm settings (Maverick ET-732 is what I use).
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Images
    Holy cow, Batman. That is one sweet setup. My pride and joy is a New Braunfels vertical smoker. It's about 6 feet tall. I added a wireless thermometer to it. I can clip the remote to my belt and it will give me the current temperature of the smoking area or the meat itself. It has several alarms. One I set for the internal temperature of the meat and another for the temperature of the box itself. The range is not very good. I get limited signal from my home office to the pit passing through only one wall. I think it was a Oregon Scientific. My wife bought me an Acurite wireless thermometer for Xmas. It's a piece of junk and I have already broken the on/off switch. It's supposed to have a 100' range; but, I am lucky if I get 20' out of it. I am going to return it this week.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Damn you Roschach! I saw the Maverick ET-732 at the end of your post. I thought, maybe I will just check it out. I am not going to buy it. I just wanted to see it. I watched the video and then went to Amazon. Some how or other I inadvertently clicked on the buy it now button. It will be here in 5-8 days.

I wish they had an option to ship in a plain brown wrapper and I new exactly when it was going to arrive; so that, I could sneak it into the house and my wife would never know.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Our neighbour BBQs year round in his garage. If the weather is bad he just pulls the BBQ a little further back into the garage.

Our nickname for them is "The Garage People" - they have it set up like another living room. Probably 80% of the summer and 30% of the winter they sit in there during the evenings.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Images
    I am going to use the old BBQ meter to stick in my jetski. One is a 4 stroke and the other 2. I worry that the 4 stroke will freeze as it is very much like a car engine. I put some drop lights in each ski to keep them warm. The old thermometer will let me monitor the inside temp of the ski.

I wonder if Zagg makes an invisi-shield protective cover for the Maverick yet....LOL
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    I have a Maverick ET-7, a Maverick ET-73 with one burnt out probe, and my maverick ET-732.

The older Maverick units are OK for meat probe only and still can be a bit fritzy on range so I know not to trust 'em too much.

If you'd let me know, i could have pointed you to free shipping on the ET-732 but maybe you already got that via Amazon.

John,

Wow, people who BBQ in their garage - do ya reckon they have a CO detector or at least a canary in there? Yeesh. Don't tell me it's a propane rig too . . .
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Barracuda
    Images
    One of my buddies has a Bubba 250R with large rib box on an 5x10 trailer .

Bubba Grills 250 Smoker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information