Thread: Tanks Safety

Barracuda Founding Member

Tanks Safety

After seeing the video posted by navy I wanted to verify the way I store my tanks is appropriate:

Steel 120hp
    I store them inside my semi-heated basement at full pressure tank valve up protected from falling over.
    I don't dive often, so they sit around for long periods.

Any suggestions or issues with this?
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Grouper
    Images
    Pressure either full or near empty (200 psi). Sounds like your method of full, upright and secure is right on to me.
    Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance. ~Sam Brown

Thanks..
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Megalodon
    Images
    I'm with Wheelman too. You're doing it right. I do believe most issues with tanks are because 1. Poor maintenance 2. Poor handling 3. AL 6351 alloy. (Remember, that video was of a failing 6351 tank) Keep your tanks like you do, get them vip and hydro'd and you'll be able to hand them down to your grand kids.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Thanks. Wheelman, in your reply you said near empty 200psi. I had heard this about was actually dangerous for al tanks, and the preference was under 50psi or full. Something about when the tank gets to temp to fail it will have built up enough pressure to injure someone. Not sure where the pressure line lies though. I guess I could calculate pressure/temp but that much thought might hurt on a Monday afternoon.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

cgvmer, lower is better. I think the value of 200 PSI comes from the fact that regulators have an intermediate pressure (IP) between 100 to 200 PSI. If your IP is something like 150, you wouldn't want to breath it down below the IP. So when the tank gets down to 200 PSI you'd stop breathing on the regulator. Putting it down to 50 PSI would definitely be safer in the event of a fire.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    Assuming no fire. Is it better to store a tank full or with 50-200 psi?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Assuming no fire. Is it better to store a tank full or with 50-200 psi?
    Depends on how you define better. I own my tanks so I can fill them whenever I happen to be at the dive shop then I leave them sitting full for the next time I want to go diving. If I had to go to the shop every time I wanted to go for a dive, I'd just use the tanks at the shop.

As far as the technical reasons, it is probably better to leave the tanks at 50 PSI. The added pressure might weaken the tank walls. Realistically, my shop leaves a lot of their tanks full all the time. Some of our tanks are 30 years old.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Assuming no fire Leaving them full should not hurt them. Look at all of the high pressure cylinders in use as far as welding and other uses. They get beat around and used in less than hospitable environments and keep passing hydro. The oldest tank I saw had a date of 1921 and even saw use in Germany in WWII as it had a swastika stamped in the neck. Now it is possession of National Welders still going strong.
    Keeping them secure and maintained will help a bunch. The few cylinders I have seen in a fire have all ruptured before we got close to them. SO, we were either lucky or they fell fast!!! Mine I do keep full in the garage as I hate filling them on short notice.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

When discussing fire, a full tank is not an issue, it will heat up and blow it's burst disk. It is the lower pressure of non full tanks, where the metal fails due to high heat. If the tank is empty with a closed valve, and the tank fails, the pressure from heat expansion will not be so high as to cause injury. Now if that tanks is partially filled, the pressure could build due to heat, and the metal fail before the burst disks burst. This could cause some significant damage/injury if a tanks with a couple 1000lbs of pressure ruptures.

I initially emptied my tanks, then an LDS required a vis for completely empty tanks( he didn't charge me since it was the first time at his shop), he then told me stories of someone leaving tanks open and not giving them a vis when he got a suprise that something had crawled into his tank.
    Just another reason to keep them stored full.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Thread Information