Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rx Dive masks - Vendor Reccomendations

Guppy

Rx Dive masks - Vendor Reccomendations

Disposable contact lenses are becoming less comfortable for me so I'm looking to invest in a prescription dive mask. I found three vendors and eliminated one already. I would like feedback from anyone who has used either of the remaining two vendors, and pics of your Rx mask would be appreciated.

I have a somewhat complicated but not extreme prescription - bifocals with some astigmatism. I'm looking to get one complete Rx dive mask and a second mask with 'executive' gauge readers only for backup use with disposable contact lenses.

Vendor #1 located in San Diego, CA

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

This vendor has pictures of end products as well as testimonials. They have been responsive to my e-mail questions and clarifications. They have quoted $380 for 'sandwich style' bifocals, and standard price for gauge readers is $119. I was offered a 10% discount for having two masks worked on in the same order.

Vendor #2 located in Long Beach, NY

Prescription Dive Masks

Lots of expereience quoted, testimonials available but no pictures. I was quoted $319.50 for full Franklin style bifocals and $199.50 for 'flat top bifocals'.

Here is a link to the masks I'll be using.

http://www.xsscuba.com/mask_fusion2lvpurge.html

Any direct end user info is greatly appreciated.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Let me mention the folks I used for my bifocals--

Prescription Scuba Diving Masks - Snorkeling Masks - SeaVisionUSA

I'm extremely happy with the results, and have no problem recommending them.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Guppy
    Thanks, but I eliminated Seavision due to the mask I selected is not a Seavision model and Seavision doesn't offer a low volume mask with purge like I'm using.
    We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled.

Grouper
    I used the guy from New York for two masks now. Mr Maggiore did a great job taking my pretty heavy prescription and making all the various corrections needed to have it work as a dive mask. I found a mask I liked locally, he found a similar one from the same manufacturer that could hold the thicker lenses and ship them out to me. I believe mine were about $250 including the shipping.

Guppy
    Thanks for the input from first-hand experience. I don't plan on changing the mask I've selected though.

What I absolutely don't want is something like this with bifocals added.

prescription dive masks - Bing Images

My TUSA IQ-800 and Dive Rite NiTek3 computers have displays I can read without bifocals, but I know I'm missing seeing some of the smaller critters and stuff. My disposable contact lenses are single vision only for each eye, and I use +2.00 reading glasses when using contact lenses. I tried bifocal contact lenses but the compromise was too much for me.

Images
    I couldn't pass the vision portion of the medical for my job; so, I had inter ocular lenses implanted and have 20/20 vision now. Best $5K I ever spent.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Images
    You can get inserts for your mask for about $30 some dollars at Liersure Pro. My gf got them too I am not sure if ST's sells them.

NM you need a full script not reading glasses

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Thanks for the input from first-hand experience. I don't plan on changing the mask I've selected though.

What I absolutely don't want is something like this with bifocals added.

prescription dive masks - Bing Images

My TUSA IQ-800 and Dive Rite NiTek3 computers have displays I can read without bifocals, but I know I'm missing seeing some of the smaller critters and stuff. My disposable contact lenses are single vision only for each eye, and I use +2.00 reading glasses when using contact lenses. I tried bifocal contact lenses but the compromise was too much for me.
    He needed to substitute the mask because the one I liked at Scuba Toys wouldn't accomodate the thicker lenses but what he substituted seems identical to me. They don't at all look like that lens in a lens picture you linked to; other than a little weight, you can't tell them from a non prescription mask.

Guppy
    Thanks russp, that news helps in lieu of a picture gallery.

My masks arrived today but were the wrong model - no purge valve. Back to returns they go. Seems nobody is carrying the MA210 from XS Scuba any more from my web searches. Including Scubatoys. They must be special order only now.

I'll have to switch to the Tilos equivalent which externally seems very similar except for the clips on the straps.

http://www.onlinescuba.com/Tilos-2-W...-P8761C91.aspx

Another thing for the to-do list after we've moved now, too late to get done before we move at this point.

Both vendors informed me my prescription is complex enough to require bonding corrective lenses to the mask lens inner surfaces, so I don't have issues with how thick a lens a given mask frame (or frameless mask) will accomodate.

Guppy
    I got good news!

Joe at ST tells me I can order the XS Scuba MA210 all black mask through ST, so that's on the to-do list.

I reckon I will also purchase a red & black Tilos M420 mask for executive gauge readers only as my backup mask for use with disposable contact lenses.

The color difference will help me keep straight which mask will be the full prescription bifocals vs. which mask will have only the executive style reading lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information