Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which dive shops are not cattle boat..?

Guppy

which dive shops are not cattle boat..?

i have been talking to my wife about our trip to cozumel, some cheap options some more expensive...

she does not want cattle boats. our last experience with a cattle boat was not good, divers kicking you all the time, getting near etc...

so

which dive shops are not cattle boat and whichones are..?

Grouper
    carlosandsimon.com, great family run operation. Awesome homemade lunches, beach or fishing during interval. Really a great group. BR

Quote Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post
    carlosandsimon.com, great family run operation. Awesome homemade lunches, beach or fishing during interval. Really a great group. BR
    Never used those people but it sounds great. Thanks. I'll have to look them up when I go back.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    Never used those people but it sounds great. Thanks. I'll have to look them up when I go back.
    Really recommend them, I have caught tuna, mahi-mahi and other fish during the interval and the lunches are great. They had fished lobster and conk and made us a fresh cevicha for example. The tuna I caught was lunch the next day. I will be down there in about a month, can't wait

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buton View Post
    our last experience with a cattle boat was not good, divers kicking you all the time, getting near etc...

so

I have been on cattle boats with all experienced and courteous divers and had none of those issues, and I have been on 6 pack boats with either newbies or inconsiderate divers and had the issues that you mention. Small boats with the 'best' dive operator does not necessarily mean you won't have 'that guy' on your dive boat.

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buton View Post
    i have been talking to my wife about our trip to cozumel, some cheap options some more expensive...

she does not want cattle boats. our last experience with a cattle boat was not good, divers kicking you all the time, getting near etc...

so

Cattleboats.... mostly associated with in-house dive ops on Cozumel. That said, sometimes a small boat doesn't mean you won't have newbies on the boat who drive you crazy. We have had both... uggghhh.

Basically, all boats go to the same reefs.... first dive is a deeper dive, down south farthest, then the second dive will be closer back to town as reefs are shallower as a rule. The smaller boats tend to get out to the reefs faster, but they are bouncier. Bigger boats are slower but smoother, and many have restrooms or a place to sit up top to enjoy the ride out and back.

We used to prefer the faster boats, getting back to dock around noon having done 2 nice long dives. We now prefer the slower big boats at SCC, because we have expensive photo gear and they have tables to protect our investment. No more sitting in a bouncing boat holding a camera. Just a preference. Plus we don't mind getting back to the dock at 1pm... at SCC the meals are included and off a menu (not buffet crap) so we get fresh hot food minutes after sitting down. No need to go into town and find a restaurant either. All just our preference.

So think about where you want to stay. Closer to town means longer ride to reefs, but closer to town means restaurants and shopping closer. Hotel farther south means faster ride to reefs but less choices for food unless it is an all-inclusive or you take a taxi to town.

robin

Grouper
    Images
    This question will get a ton of different answers because Coz is full of good ops. You will even find someone that will say positive things about some of the crappy ones since it’s a matter of opinion.

We have used Dive With Martin for the last four trips and have loved them. They are on the international pier so they are a little further out but their prices can’t be beat. They let the divers pick the reefs and are usually the first ones on the reef since they leave their pier at 7sh am and are back by 11sh am, which leaves the rest of the day for the beach and whatever.

Robin brings up a good point though, while the boats are small and fast there is no place for camera gear. This was never an issue till last year when I upgraded my gear. The plan is to upgrade again this year so I might have to switch ops even though I would hate to. A bucket is just not going to cut it anymore for camera gear. I am not as worried about the o-ring issue as I am about possibly changing a lens or opening up the case for any other reason. I might have to switch back to a bigger boat.

Barracuda
    Papa Hogs is not a cattle boat, quite the opposite actually. One of the highest recommended shops on the island, great people.

Small boats, so not a lot of room for extra stuff like a monster camera rig.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Shark
    Images
    I had always liked Del Mar until this last trip to Coz. I think diving in with SCJ spoiled me.
    If I go back to Coz, I'll switch to Diving with Allison based on Diver Kat's recommendation.
    There is just something about having to spend an hour or more that wears me out.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    I will throw one in here as well.

Deep Exposure
    Cozumel Scuba Diving with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel
    (I might have given you this link before)

You will not find many post about this op because they cater to smaller groups and special request. Most guest are returns or were recomended by word of mouth.

One of the only op's that offer Tech diving on the island (also tech courses - Intro, Extended Range, Tri-mix I & II). Last time I dove with them they had a group using rebreathers.

Also cater to photographers, storage areas, subject specific guided.

They actually set up a table to serve lunch with real plates and silverware. Prices may be slightly higher but you get service.
    DevilDiver

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information