Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dive knife straps

TadPole

Dive knife straps

Hi folks

Recently I picked up a dive knife, specifically the Spyderco Caspian Salt. Unfortunately the straps are nylon and I've had difficulty finding a place to keep the knife on my body where it will remain easily accessible.

I've spoken to my local dive shop and they're not sure what I can do, the straps they have for sale are rubber, but are a bit large to easily fit through the provided strap holes on the Caspian's sheath and I'd rather see what else I can try before attacking the sheath with a file and risking damaging it to the point of non-functioning.

What other options do I have for securing the knife at depth?

Grouper
    I strap my knife to my left inside forearm using elastic Velcro straps. They are Tekna brand which is not around anymore.

Accessories - ScubasWorld

For ideas.

Purchase the correct materials buckles, Velcro, webbing, elastic, etc. and sew a couple.

Megalodon
    Images
    I've seen similar straps sold as a generic, but it wouldn't be too hard to make your own. One thing you could do is get a pair fo QD buckles and forgo the velcro all together.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    That it an expensive knife. I would not use it for SCUBA diving. Any knife over $40 will tend to get lost during the first dive. I normally keep those type of knives with my socks in my top dresser drawer and only bring them out to show friends. Make sure to put name and phone number on it, so it can be returned when found.

TadPole
    It is an expensive knife, I bought it both for scuba diving and fishing since it doesn't rust. The sheath is really well designed, I'm not too worried about losing the knife provided I can secure the sheath properly. The straps are really the only poorly thought out aspect of it.

Cheers for the suggestions folks. I might look into some velcro/elastic band combo's that I can use in 2's or 3's to secure it. How well does elastic hold up in sea water? If any of you know.

Guppy
    Images
    Try surgical tubing. You can tie the tubing in such a way that the knife will stay in place even with suit compression. I usually have mine on my right leg so the handle is right where my hand would naturally come to rest.

I don't know if you have a chest strap, but you could use some TyRaps and attach it there. The same trick would work with the BC shoulder straps. Might want to put on a couple clips to keep it from sliding around if you go that route.

Cool Tools: Ty-Rap Zip Ties

I use ranger rubber straps.

Shane

Images
    Number of knives owned- 12. Number of knives lost-12. Number I own now- 0
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    I use innertube to hold my spyderco salt on my harness, and I have it dummy corded to my D-ring, which I have to physically unclip it if I want it for cutting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information