Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: swim test?

Guppy
    I really question the need for strong swimming skills these days other than the comfort level it brings to the individual, which in that resspect is very important. However if a person can be comfortable in the water with a wet suit top or some sort of shorty, something to give some flotation and propel themselves thru the water then IMO that’s enough.
    It is unlikely in an emergency that a diver would remove their wet suit especially if they understand it is their last flotation assistance. So I think it’s fair to allow flotation assistance in that form. It is also my opinion that any diver tow should be done with both divers in full gear.
    Back before we had auto inflators and SMBs, strong swimming skills were more essential, with today equipment not so much.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    I really question the need for strong swimming skills these days other than the comfort level it brings to the individual, which in that resspect is very important. However if a person can be comfortable in the water with a wet suit top or some sort of shorty, something to give some flotation and propel themselves thru the water then IMO that’s enough.
    It is unlikely in an emergency that a diver would remove their wet suit especially if they understand it is their last flotation assistance. So I think it’s fair to allow flotation assistance in that form. It is also my opinion that any diver tow should be done with both divers in full gear.
    Back before we had auto inflators and SMBs, strong swimming skills were more essential, with today equipment not so much.
    Agree completely. My last post here was 3 posts and 6 YEARS ago-not much traffic, eh. But yeah, there could be a lot of changes in both the OW and DM swim tests. You can search for my suggestions in a place called "Going Pro". Having become a DM since, my new thing is I'd rather see an OW student swim ONE lap with a correct stroke than "tough out" 200 m/y any old way.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Grouper
    If you ski you should have some skill in the cold, if you sky dive some skill falling
    diving, swimming skills = good

Images
    The swimming skill is for when a fun time turns into a bad time.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by PyrateDiver View Post
    If you ski you should have some skill in the cold, if you sky dive some skill falling
    diving, swimming skills = good
    Agree. Someone said swimming is a life skill. But what do you do to get falling skills?
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    The swimming skill is for when a fun time turns into a bad time.
    So what bad times finds a diver without any flotation aids what so ever? Even back before auto inflators and BCDs the wet suit was always a failsafe. I suppose for those warm water divers that donít use a wetsuit at all swimming is more important than for a diver here in the NE where 5mm-7mm wetsuits are the norm. Iím not saying that swimming skills are un-necessary just that strong swimming skills arenít.
    Itís not because I canít swim. I breezed thru the swim requirements of the diving course I took during 1960ís doing all but the last two laps face down. We were allowed 2 laps on our backs so I did the last 2 sculling on my back. When I got out of the pool I wasn't even winded. I swam the length of the pool underwater past the required stop point and scared the instructor who didnít see me climb out of the pool. He made me do it again. That time I swam to him, pinched his leg, continued to the end of the pool, turned around headed back towards the instructor and came up alongside him smiling, ďdid you see me that time or should I do it againĒ? Iím just an older A-hole than I used to be; I was 15 years old. J

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    Agree. Someone said swimming is a life skill. But what do you do to get falling skills?
    Other than falling out of the attic and off some rocks I dont have any yet, but they just opened an indoor skydiving place down the road I plan to try, I will report back

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    So what bad times finds a diver without any flotation aids what so ever? Even back before auto inflators and BCDs the wet suit was always a failsafe. I suppose for those warm water divers that don’t use a wetsuit at all swimming is more important than for a diver here in the NE where 5mm-7mm wetsuits are the norm. I’m not saying that swimming skills are un-necessary just that strong swimming skills aren’t.
    It’s not because I can’t swim. I breezed thru the swim requirements of the diving course I took during 1960’s doing all but the last two laps face down. We were allowed 2 laps on our backs so I did the last 2 sculling on my back. When I got out of the pool I wasn't even winded. I swam the length of the pool underwater past the required stop point and scared the instructor who didn’t see me climb out of the pool. He made me do it again. That time I swam to him, pinched his leg, continued to the end of the pool, turned around headed back towards the instructor and came up alongside him smiling, “did you see me that time or should I do it again”? I’m just an older A-hole than I used to be; I was 15 years old. J
    t
    Agree. I've been asking for years for anyone to give a scenario where anyone (pro or not) would have to swim without fins. Some have mentioned falling overboard, etc. but that has nothing specifically related to scuba.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Grouper
    Nope that would drop into the falling category

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by PyrateDiver View Post
    Nope that would drop into the falling category
    No boat safety, wear a PFD on boat.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information