Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Alaska

TadPole

Hello from Alaska

My name is Mark Bevans, I live in Kenai Alaska. I work in the Oil Fields on Alaska's North Slope. We vacation down south every winter. This year the wife and I did our open water certification. I've always wanted to do some ice diving up here so i'm working toward my advanced cert. We both want our own gear but don't want to buy it several times. I hope to gain information from the experience on this board.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Great to have you here Mark! If you ever need a buddy for that ice diving... er.. uh... don't call me!!!!

Funeral Jorunna
    Welcome to the board. I don't think my current gear will hold up for ice diving. Don't know if I want to do any ice diving. Call Larry first.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Megalodon
    Images
    Me!!! Me!!! Me!!!! Pick me!!! my gear can handle the ice, I've dove up that way once or twice-in Febuary, I'll go!!!

Welcome to the Board Mark!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Welcome aboard!! I am not sure about the ice diving. Dont mind the overhead but the older I get the worse the cold bothers me...
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

TadPole
    Welcome Mark!

Lots of warm water southern folks in these part of the intwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMark View Post
    My name is Mark Bevans, I live in Kenai Alaska. I work in the Oil Fields on Alaska's North Slope. We vacation down south every winter. This year the wife and I did our open water certification. I've always wanted to do some ice diving up here so i'm working toward my advanced cert. We both want our own gear but don't want to buy it several times. I hope to gain information from the experience on this board.
    Hey Mark welcome from SE Ak. If you want to dive warm come on down to Sitka and we will do some great dives. Just a quick word of advice about ice diving if you are talking true ice diving I suggest you wait When things go wrong under the ice they go wrong fast and bad. If your meaning cold water diving hey we do that all the time. I also caution you against/ about warm water diving. I did a weekend of dives in westpalm about 3 weeks ago and it was so nice .( warm blue water) that it took me two weeks before I could force myself back into the cold water at home

Again welcome and happy diving

TadPole
    Thanks for the welcome! I hope to get to know you guys. I have a lot of questions that I'm sure can be answered here. I won't be posting for a few days, I have to go to the North Slope tomorrow. But I'll be back in two weeks. Hope to write then. Again, thank you!

Images
    Seen an awesome video of ice diving...I'll see if I can find it. Looked fun, but not sure I'd have "cahunse" to do it.

Welcome to the forum....I know a lot of divers who dive year around, ice and all. This year in Michigan, they have been disappointed, very little ice. Like Herb-Alaska, I dive in very cold water, but not ice covered water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information