Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: speigal grove here I come

Shark

speigal grove here I come

I am heading back to Indiana next week, so my Dad and I are going down Wednesday morning to key largo and are going to dive the Speigal grove thursday.
    I think I am going to pick up a hero 2 go pro video cam when we get down and I will up some video friday when we get home.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Nothing like biting off more than you can chew. What is next, the Doria?
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    Images
    2+ knot current last time I was there, The ones on the boat doing single tank, no penetration dives were coming up in 15-20 minutes, about half landing on different boats.

Take a jon line and bag/reel, you will need it.
    Rick

Shark
    I would probably hire a DM to dive with you. It's a good way to gain experience on the more challenging dives.

It's also a great way to support the local dive ops.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Barracuda
    Images
    I dived the Spiegel Grove in July of 2010. It was my 131st dive. The current was quite stiff that day. I felt a bit like the flag on a flag pole on a windy day pulling myself down the line to the wreck. We hit the deck midship port side at 100' depth, swam across to the starboard side, then swam into a stiff current to the stern. At the stern we swam back across to the port side, then went with the current back to the midship down line. Total dive time was about 40 minutes and I surfaced with 946 psi in my aluminum 80 cu ft tank.

The dive operator I was with did not provide a DM, which was fine with me, but some may not be comfortable with that. They did ask that only those with deep certification, advanced card, and experience to drop to the deck. They asked the divers that were not qualified to stay above 70', and those that were not advanced did just that.

If the current is strong, and you do not have a DM, this dive to the deck at 100' may be beyond your current level of experience. It was a difficult dive for me. The current could be strong or very light. You won't really know till you are on your way down the line.

Be sure to take your SMB. If the current blows you off the wreck you will need it.

Guppy
    What operator are you going with? Scuba-do at mile marker 102.7 is great on the Speigel Grove and her neighbor, the Duane. Best part of Scuba-do, in my opinion, is they will get to the dive sight before any other boats as they leave from the dock before the others in the morning and again in the afternoon. As the other posters have noted, there can be (and usually are) some pretty stiff currents on the Spiegel and the Duane, with the gulf stream running from stern to bow on the Spiegel and the opposite direction on the Duane. Which is where getting to the sight early comes into play. Both wrecks have moorings at stern and bow, and the first boat to the sight typcally takes the downstream mooring. This allows you to spend the early part of the dive swimming into the current before turning around and taking a liesurely ride on the current back to the line. Done the other way, it can be pretty stressful getting to turn-air, and turning into a stiff current. I've seen more than one diver in that situation decide to abandon the swim back to the line and do a straight ascent with no line. Not a great move in a strong current. Besides, if you do get in that situation, there are 8 lines on the Spiegel, and 3 or 4 on the Duane, so one of them is generally close by. If you can't make it back to the line your boat is tied to, at least do yourself (and the captain) a favor and come up on one of the lines so that your're in the vicinity.

Have a great trip. The Spiegel is probaly my favorite dive. You'll have a blast!

Grouper
    Tim,
    Have a great dive, but dive safe.
    Are you comfortable doing this dive with the added task loading of a camera ?
    What size tank are you and your dad diving for this trip ?

Jim Breslin

Interesting how some people seem to be warning against diving the Spiegel Grove. When I was getting my DM my instructor talked to us about liability. She has a story about going to Florida for vacation. When the dive operator found out she was a Master Scuba Dive Trainer (MSDT), he asked if she would buddy with this relatively new diver. She talked to the new diver. After accessing her skill level she advised against diving the Spiegel Grove and said she would NOT be her buddy. The dive operator convinced a new Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) to take the new diver down. The new diver died. The OWSI was so traumatized she quit diving.

Additionally, if you have the auto-complete on for Google and type "spiegel gr" it suggests "Spiegel Grove Deaths".

I've never been on the Spiegel Grove but it does not sound like a beginner dive. You definitely need a good sac rate for this one.

On a good note, the GoPro Hero 2 is rated to 180 feet and the Spiegel is only 134 feet deep. So the camera will survive.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    You just never know what the condition will be like until you hit the water. I have only been on the Speigel Grove four times. Conditions varied from zero current to hanging on the line flapping like a flag. I was diving 100s, my son 80s (wish I had his SAC rate). Our dive times ranged from 29 to 35 minutes.

Its not a beginner dive. When I first dove the Keys, I was frustrated with their rules on AOW for the deep dives. After seeing how conditions can vary I understand their need to try to limit their liability. As demonstrated by the story of the diver death above, having the card does not guarantee competence. Every diver needs to constantly ask themselves if they belong on that dive and to be ready to call it.

Big, I hope you keep this in mind since this is a big step up for you.

Shark
    Ocean Divers offers a course on diving the Spiegel Grove. The extra attention would be worth the cost.

Specialty Diving Courses at Ocean Divers

I don't mean to be mean, but I can see you guys descending to the wreck, and not having sufficient air to return safely. And, a larger cylinder is not the solution to that problem.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information