Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about sharks?

Shark

What have you learned about sharks?

There is a lot of 'information' out there regarding shark behavior.

I was just wondering what you have learned about shark behavior, (by species)
    during your diving career.

My shark experience is very limited. I've only seen them in the wild, on a handful of occasions.

The species were; Sand Tiger (once, fleetingly), Sand Bar, Nurse, and either Caribbean Reef or Blacktip Reef (possibly both, I have a hard time telling them apart).

Sand Tigers are shy. Sand Bars are territorial and like small coves. That's all I know.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Megalodon
    Images
    1. Don't mess with them and most of them won't mess with you. Which is why I'm NOT a fan of the shark feeding dives.
    2. There are more of them around you than you can see.
    3. Most reef sharks are interested in food a lot smaller than us so you're safe-unless you're bleeding.
    4. Watch their body language: A shark doing an exaggerated side to side motion with fins almost straight down is royally pissed off and probably going to attack something or someone and it might be you.
    5. Great Whites, Makos and Tigers scare me! But I found Jaws funny as all hell.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    I've only been in the wild (that I know of) with Atlantic Sand Tigers, and one time a Blue shark swam by me but kept going, had it swam by 20 feet away instead of the 10 feet it did I wouldn’t have seen it at all. I’ve learned from books, internet, and TV, NOVA, NATGEO…….. Most sharks have fish teeth that is teeth designed to hold and eat fish. Those sharks can give us a nasty bite(s) and big ones can inflict fatal wounds. They are normally not attracted to the smell of human blood but sounds and sight can incite a bite. Sharks like Makos and GWs have fish teeth when young then grow marine mammal eating teeth as they grow, and they grow BIG. Those teeth can slice through fat, muscle and bone pretty much equally. Thier bites are often fatal. They are all wild animals and are unpredictable and dangerous, as well as graceful and beautiful. I wouldn’t be crazy about hanging out in the open water with GW’s and the like; but those Sandies sure seemed like well behaved animals. They do know the difference between a gloved hand and a bare one by the touch.

The way the sightings of GWs have been increasing around Cape Cod and other areas close by I figure it's only a matter of time until I meet one.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    There is a lot of 'information' out there regarding shark behavior.

I was just wondering what you have learned about shark behavior, (by species)
    during your diving career.
    Always look out for unexpected wobbegongs. They're pretty placid, but they have excellent camo and if provoked enough, will tend to bite & hang on.

To prevent sightings of larger & more impressive looking sharks, carry a camera with you.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    To prevent sightings of larger & more impressive looking sharks, carry a camera with you.
    Spot on!
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    I dive a lot with Sand Tigers. Loads of Sand Tigers. They are very mellow, and they have never harmed me or scared me in the least.

Personally, I am not afraid of sharks. I am afraid of people as their track record in my life is not so good.

This is what I know.

Don't wake them up

I recently encountered a large nurse shark (7-8ft) sleeping in a cave off Cozumel. A number of the group wanted pictures and kept at it until the shark woke suddenly, and came screaming out of the cave in a panic:can't blame it-I would react the same if I suddenly woke up to find strange creatures in my bedroom taking flash photography. In any case it headed directly at a nearby diver who fended it off with his hands-gave him a hell of a scare!

Do let sleeping dos/sharks be

Grouper
    Just watch Jaws and see what happens... It seems like most sharks dont bother people but I dont have any experience with them to say so from a factual standpoint. So at this point I will just try to avoid them.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Grouper
    Images
    I have been diving so much in Coz over the past years that I miss seeing them. I plan to take a trip on a BB cruise next year to hopefully get my fill.

I dove a lot in the Maldives and saw alot of white and black tips. They always kept their distance and were the highlight of the dive. Had a couple run ins with tigers and they make me nervous. They are higher on the food chain and they know it.

Grouper
    My wife won't let me keep one in the bathtub.
    Say When....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information