Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy these tanks?

Grouper
    [QUOTE=scubadiver888;472028]The original hydro and next hydro being 5 years apart hints it might have been a shop tank. The different month might mean the tanks don't get used a lot. However a gap of 10 years until the last hydro pretty much says it was not in heavy use and probably not a shop tank.

That is what I was thinking, there was a 10 year period they weren't used much.
    Say When....

Grouper
    It does get expensive as I have 14 tanks and I am looking at getting certified to do my viz as it would save me a ton of money. Hopefully this year it will happen. Just as with anything it all depends on work and money. Diving is an expensive when it becomes crazy addictive.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I got certified to do my own for that reason alone. I do it for a local shop in return for air as well. I think buying the cylinders was a good deal and I would have done it were I in that position.

You can also look for hydro shops on your own for the hydro. You'd be surprised at how much markup there is. I get mine done for less than $20, hydro and fill. Look for DOT hydro stations, there's a listing of them the DOT keeps and you can take your own in. Then take it to a shop for vis.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Well after about 6 weeks of waiting I got my tanks back from hydro & vis, they passed.
    I noticied that on the vis sticker there is a place where they can mark if the tank was eddy current tested.
    My two tanks are both marked no that they were not eddy current tested, is this because they were just hydro tested & they don't need the eddy test? Just wondering I thought it was odd that they were not eddy tested?
    Say When....

Quote Originally Posted by bottomdweller View Post
    Well after about 6 weeks of waiting I got my tanks back from hydro & vis, they passed.
    I noticied that on the vis sticker there is a place where they can mark if the tank was eddy current tested.
    My two tanks are both marked no that they were not eddy current tested, is this because they were just hydro tested & they don't need the eddy test? Just wondering I thought it was odd that they were not eddy tested?
    The eddy current test should NEVER be done on your tanks. It will almost always give a false fail. The eddy current test is for tanks made from the 'bad' alloy (6351). Luxfer stopped using the 6351 alloy in 1989. So all tanks manufactured in 1991 would be the current 6061 alloy. This alloy just needs normally viz and hydro testing.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Interesting, All of my other tanks (all AL 80's) have been eddy tested every year when I take them in for vis, they all have the visual plus sticker on them. I thought they always eddy tested all tanks during the vis inspection now days.
    Say When....

Grouper
    Oh ya, all my other tanks with the visual plus sticker are newer than the two tanks I just got back from hydro & vis?
    Say When....

Quote Originally Posted by bottomdweller View Post
    Interesting, All of my other tanks (all AL 80's) have been eddy tested every year when I take them in for vis, they all have the visual plus sticker on them. I thought they always eddy tested all tanks during the vis inspection now days.

Oh ya, all my other tanks with the visual plus sticker are newer than the two tanks I just got back from hydro & vis?
    Just did some checking. Visual Plus, Visual Plus 2 and Visual Eddy should not be used with 6061 alloy cylinders. Visual Plus 3 is approved for testing 6061 alloy cylinders. I'd assume the place you send them to is using Visual Plus 3. From the Luxfer web site:

Luxfer deems Visual Plus 3 to be the only eddy-current testing device suitable for use with Luxfer 6061-alloy cylinders. Luxfer will continue to evaluate the performance of Visual Plus 3 under field conditions and issue technical advisories, as needed.

Grouper
    Well all my other tanks were visualed at a different shop than the shop I had these last 2 tanks hydroed & vised at.
    That may explain the difference.
    Say When....

There have been no indications of sustain load cracking on the 6061 alloy. It is therefore not required or even recommended to do an eddy current test on the 6061 alloy cylinders. So it is not unusual that one shop will do the eddy current test and another shop will not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information