Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy these tanks?

Hybrid View

Grouper

Would you buy these tanks?

So I know a guy that has 2 Luxfer tanks manufactured in 1991.
    Hs is wanting $75.00 for both tanks, they are due for hydro & vis.
    My question is if they were to pass hydro & vis would you be willing to pay $75.00 for them? I have searched tank life span & found some people say aluminum tanks should last around 10,000 fills & others say aluminum tanks last about 20 years? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait for newer tanks?
    Thanks for your input.
    Say When....

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomdweller View Post
    So I know a guy that has 2 Luxfer tanks manufactured in 1991.
    Hs is wanting $75.00 for both tanks, they are due for hydro & vis.
    My question is if they were to pass hydro & vis would you be willing to pay $75.00 for them? I have searched tank life span & found some people say aluminum tanks should last around 10,000 fills & others say aluminum tanks last about 20 years? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait for newer tanks?
    Thanks for your input.
    What alloy's this?
    How should I know?
    Is there a chance I could eat crow?

If I should fill it will it blow?

-and make me feel like a big schmo?

Buy it quick and then I'll know
    -if this tank can pass a hydro.

Maybe I should pass this up-
    and save for a tank that wont blow me up.*

*apologies to 'Greensleeves'

Honestly, you haven't given us enough info to be of help...but thanks for giving me the opportunity to inflict my Weird Al disease upon you.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    *apologies to 'Greensleeves'
    S'funny. It was running through my head as "Hernando's Hideaway". Or "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening".

Curse you, iambic tetrameter!
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

Grouper
    Hi,

If the tanks are from 1991, they are the 6061 alloy and that is the current alloy for the tanks.
    $75.00 total for 2 tanks is a good price if they are in good shape and can pass hydro.
    Before you put down any money, go look at the tanks.
    Look for the following
    1- outside condition, and dings, deep scratches, when the tank is rolled on a flat surface does ot roll freely ?
    2- shape of the tank, any bows, buldges, is the tank square from the bottom up the side walls of the tank ?
    3- is the valve in good shape ?
    4 inside of tank, any crap inside the tank , and is there a white film on the inside or is it glossy ?
    5 tank threads, are they clean and do you see any cracks in the threads ?
    If you find anything wrong with the tanks after you check out these items , stay away.
    If not, take them to your local LDS and heve them do a hydro and vis on them and dive.

Jim Breslin

Shark
    I re-read the first post, and therefore edited my entire post:

VIP and hydro are usually about $35 each.

My 1994 AL80 is due for hydro in a couple of months. I'm debating whether to get the hydro done, or sell it for scrap. It's looking pretty old to me. To put it in perspective; Heather Locklear was still hot in 1994.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Megalodon
    Images
    jbres gives good advice. If they are personal tanks, they probably have not had more than 1,000 fills on them so they're still good to go as far as that is concerned. Personally, I would go for then since $75 is a good price even with the hydro costs. If they fail, they're worth about $30 each in scrap so you can recoup some cost.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

To add to navy's point, look at the hydro stamps. If they were tested EVERY 5 years at exactly the same month then they were used in a shop. The longer past 5 years they were hydro'd the less filling they probably received.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Megalodon
    Images
    Good point 888, I hadn't thought of that.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I did end up buying the tanks.
    The original hydro date is 1991, the 2nd hydro date is 1996 & a different month & the last hydro date is 2006 again a different month.
    They look to be in pretty good condition. Now I have 2 tanks at the lds one being hydroed one for vis, I have 2 new tanks that need hydro, & I have 2 other tanks full of air that will need hydro after I dive them this weekend. man thats going to be expensive...
    Say When....

Quote Originally Posted by bottomdweller View Post
    I did end up buying the tanks.
    The original hydro date is 1991, the 2nd hydro date is 1996 & a different month & the last hydro date is 2006 again a different month.
    They look to be in pretty good condition. Now I have 2 tanks at the lds one being hydroed one for vis, I have 2 new tanks that need hydro, & I have 2 other tanks full of air that will need hydro after I dive them this weekend. man thats going to be expensive...
    The original hydro and next hydro being 5 years apart hints it might have been a shop tank. The different month might mean the tanks don't get used a lot. However a gap of 10 years until the last hydro pretty much says it was not in heavy use and probably not a shop tank.

Hehe, it could be worse. You could have doubles needing viz, a stage cylinder needing viz, a deco cylinder needing viz and o2 cleaning, four first and second stages needing servicing, one of which needs to be o2 cleaned as well. This is typical of the guys I know who do technical dives with doubles, stage bottle and 100% oxygen for deco. Add to that $50 to $100 for a trimix fill PER dive and the costs really add up. Heaven forbid they all need hydro at the same time.

I know one guy who has 16 tanks. He'll fill them all, go to a remote location and dive for one or two days. Mind you, he does his own visuals and regulator servicing plus he gets a discount on hydro testing.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information