Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like to ask the group for a moment of silence-and then Memories....

Megalodon
    Images
    I remember a lot of the same things Don. Was on a few of those too. Personally, I find myself wondering where I will ever be able to go that will fill the spot that was Oronogo. It was kind of like Cheers: Where everyone knows your name and always glad you came. The diving was good, the comraderie was great, the people however were the best! I too never got out of there without talking with John and Regina and everyone else.

I can remember walking in the door one day and Regina handing me the phone to talk to someone who knew I was going to be there that day. That was also when Regina learned that I'm "Navy" here as the caller asked "Is Navyhmc there???" More than once talking to someone and being asked "Are you Navy?"

I'll never forget: "Kyle????" or "Kyle?" "????" the middle finger!

The Blizzard DDCN weekend was great! So was the DDCN 4th of July spectacular!

Still no smoking at the cabin cruiser....

I do wish some things could be brought up for prosperity: Lincoln Divers sign, the Armageddon flag, the belt and door knob to name a few.

BTW, how did the Armageddon get it's name?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    I remember holding the hand of a terrified secret squirrel as she tried to rocket up the chimney of the 4 doors. And going back 3 years ago to retrieve her integrated weight pouch....
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Barracuda
    Listen to the clip. Armageddon!!... the gerbil - YouTube

Our first several dives to that site seemed cursed. When the poo hit the fan, "Arnageddon" was out safe word.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Barracuda
    I did my solo cert there too.

Megalodon
    Images
    Solo, deep and Cavern.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

A lot of good memories as well. I did all of my tec training there as well as solo and cavern. I'm going to miss the local dive site and being able to meet up with people.

Congrats Don on getting married in 30 days!

I guess Bob and I will have to find another location to dive locally.

Guppy
    Congrats Don and Natalie. That's awesome!

Thanks for that list of memories Don. I wish we had time to cross off some of your bucket list together! You know, I think Navy has it right. We're really losing more than our place to dive. I met many of you there, and in a lot of cases it's where we made our dives together. Oronogo was a diver's place. It was cozy. Everybody went in and out in the same spot and fought the same hill to get there. At the water's edge you could find brand new recreational divers and yet have the ultimate quarry commandos floating nearby.

A year or two back on a summer morning I was floating there at the end of a dive and I watched with my jaw slack as a group of three drysuit clad explorers wearing double tanks and carrying stages geared up and discussed their amazing dive plan. How deep? How long? You have to be kidding me!

It was right then in that very spot that I decided I wanted to be a technical diver when I grew up. I was going to be them someday. Oronogo was a game changer for me.

...sniffle...
    Michael

For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grouper
    Images
    I'll always think of a day when the water temp was warmer than the air temp...kicking on my back to the shore, catching snowflakes on my tongue!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Well this sucks, I haven't made it down there for a year or two now.

I remember walking down the ramp while it was snowing at the ddcn dive, then huddling together inside trying to stay warm.

And the reverse of all that on the 4th of july when I was too sunburned to even dive the second day.

Not sure what can replace it, not any other spots close by where it's exclusively fellow divers doing our thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information