Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like to ask the group for a moment of silence-and then Memories....

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)

Unhappy I would like to ask the group for a moment of silence-and then Memories....

I just talked on the phone with John Mueller, aka Captain John of Captain John's Sports and SCUBA. This is all first hand information.

It was a call to see how he was doing after his surgery and to see when they are opening this year.

The answers are: John is doing very well after his surgery and he is cleared to dive after 4.3.12. He has made a great recovery.

Blue Water Lake, "Oronogo" is not reopening this year. Or ever. The EPA is taking the land as part of the Superfund Clean-up and filling in Blue Water Lake, AKA "Oronogo". He was given a clean up option that cost millions and it still required filling the lake. Apparently there is no way out of it.

Take this EPA-

With that terrible blow to SW Missouri diving, I would like to ask for a moment of silence for a great dive spot.

Now please share your fond memories of "Oronogo".....
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Barracuda
    Dead miners in the 4 doors.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Interesting. With what you posted I found in seconds: Final 55 FR 35502, 08/30/1990 | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA. Apparently, the clean up of Oronogo has been in the works since 1988.

I never had the chance to dive Oronogo. I would have liked to dive there at least once.

Two thought... It has taken them 24 years so far. Who knows how long before the initial assessment this mine was leaking heavy metals into the water table. What's a couple more years while we look for a better solution. HEY! maybe things have changed and there is no more heavy metal left. I think they should take another 24 years to do another study.

Second thought, is it really that bad? What about the people who conducting dive training in Oronogo? Have any of the dive instructors should symptoms of lead poisoning? Maybe it isn't the lake but just the shear amount of lead in the hills. Filling in the lake might not solve the problem.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    So sad
    Michael

For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Barracuda
    I think they plan to use the lake for cleanup of other metal hazardous waste. Killing two birds with one stone. But I may be wrong.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

ouch, that sucks!

Guppy
    You know...the good news is we can now officially tell the stories of "back when Oronogo was open..." and wow the youngsters
    Michael

For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

That totally blows!!!!!!!!

Megalodon
    Images
    Glad to know John is doing well and recovering. That totally blows about Orogono though. I hate to say it but in hind sight, this has been coming for a while. I can only hope that John gets paid for the loss.

My first dive there was with Ron Shirley as a stop off opn the way to Beaver. MY first dive at O: The doors. a great dive and I was hooked.

What totally sucks is this has been a place to meet and dive with great folks.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    I have not shown signs of heavy metal poisoning, neither has Captain John, who is nearly 70 years old, Regina, Chuck, Kevin, Mike or any of the other regulars.

Living in the area, I have watched the clean up march westward through Brooklyn Heights, Carterville, Webb City and now to Oronogo. The EPA had markers out and were doing testing last summer. I feared this all the while...

I remember my first dive there. A TOTAL Charlie Foxtrot. We went tandem skydiving that day and I had crashed. Dove anyway. Bad gear. One diver in a 3 ml. The other in a 7 ml. 95 degree heat. Guess what that looked like!

I remember the first time I dove the 4 doors. It was my last wet dive at that depth because I was narc'd out of my gourd. That was a New Year's dive.

I remember "finding" the Armageddon! and why it was named that. I remember accidentally going into a cavern at 135 feet and think I was gonna die there, but a cooler head prevailed and I left the way I entered. Along a wall. That was also on a New Year's Day.

I remember doing a fair amount of Tec training there and finishing my Dive Master training there.

I remember the Cabin Cruiser, the Fly Wheel, The Dog House, the caverns on the north wall, the Cable Ladder and just dropping 170 over the wall to nothing at the entrance.

I remember standing in the parking lot getting screamed at on the phone and getting nasty texts from the ex.

I remember being there with the Squirrel, who will be my wife in 30 days, totally in love.

I remember marching my gear up that mother of a hill in 105 degree weather. I remember the brutal sunburns before I bought my Easy-up. I remember my gear freezing as I removed it on New Year's Day.

I remember foolishly trying to get pictures of 8 people at "The Sign", all on the same dive.

I remember the dive where the computer desk was broken.

I remember swimming across the quarry in a thunderstorm surfacing from a flywheel dive.

I remember offering to pay the gate fee to anyone who managed to grab a goose and drown it (no one ever could).

I want to do the Hook Cave, but never got around to it. I did the entrance. I did the exit. Never traversed it.

I remember finding the cave in the south wall at 180 feet, but knowing not to enter it. I remember finding several deep caves and wishing I could enter.

I REALLY wish I had gotten to go to the train. The pictures will have to do.

I remember the OCDA guys showing up with there hundreds of thousands of dollars in identical gear.

I remember the masses of total newbs asking "where should I go?" and standing on the cliff to show them the plane.

I remember the faint taste of hydrocarbons.

I remember watching Dr. Vetsch practice his stunt flying in the Turbo Shark on Sunday afternoons.

I remember the Air Cave, some times open to air, sometimes an actual cavern.

I remember REALLY long decos before I wised up and carried nitrox and O2.

I remember bad narcosis before I wised up again and used trimix.

I remember it taking 30 minutes to pay and leave because I was listening to John's stories.

I remember being the only diver there.

I remember the place being packed.

I remember being a student.

I remember being a Dive Master.

I remember fun dives.

I remember being scared ****less.

I remember a lot.

A big piece of my diving life, if not my life in general, is going away.

She will be missed.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information