Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 1st stage for Pony set up?

Barracuda
    Images

Best 1st stage for Pony set up?

Just bought a used 19cf pony bottle, and was looking for the best reg/ gauge set up for this system.

I should add that I am planning on doing some solo diving and buddy diving, max depth 110, no penetration dives.

I like the idea of no valve/screw the first stage into the bottle set up, but am concerned about air leaks when the system is stored?? I have found two of these Zeagle and H2o Odessy, any other suggestions or preferences? Is it possible to get a first stage only? I can pair it with a ScubaPro MK25 or an Aeris Atmos Pro Reg. Compatibility issues?

I was also looking at the tiny pony gauge, and i was thinking of mounting it on a short hose, maybe with a tape or foam wrap and wiretie to the reg hose for easy viewing. Any toughts on this?

Lastly, I saw a tech diver recently, pony bottle set up with a hose from main 1st stage to pony first stage. He said it has a one-way valve to pony and automaticly tops the pony off as you turn your main air on. Sounded uber cool. Ever heard of it? Know where I can find it? Any thoughts about it.
    He also had his bc whip running off the pony??

Thanks for any help!

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    Lastly, I saw a tech diver recently, pony bottle set up with a hose from main 1st stage to pony first stage. He said it has a one-way valve to pony and automaticly tops the pony off as you turn your main air on. Sounded uber cool. Ever heard of it? Know where I can find it? Any thoughts about it.

Thanks for any help!
    I sure would like to see a picture of how he had everything setup. The topping off the pony sounds good as long as long as you don't switch mixes.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Barracuda
    Images
    [/quote]
    I sure would like to see a picture of how he had everything setup. The topping off the pony sounds good as long as long as you don't switch mixes.[/QUOTE]

No mixed gas for me just compressed air mix

Do you think I should post this under tech?

Grouper
    Posting in tech would probably get you better feedback on this one.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    I moved this thread to Tech for you guys.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    Just bought a used 19cf pony bottle, and was looking for the best reg/ gauge set up for this system.

I should add that I am planning on doing some solo diving and buddy diving, max depth 110, no penetration dives.

I like the idea of no valve/screw the first stage into the bottle set up, but am concerned about air leaks when the system is stored?? I have found two of these Zeagle and H2o Odessy, any other suggestions or preferences? Is it possible to get a first stage only? I can pair it with a ScubaPro MK25 or an Aeris Atmos Pro Reg. Compatibility issues?

I was also looking at the tiny pony gauge, and i was thinking of mounting it on a short hose, maybe with a tape or foam wrap and wiretie to the reg hose for easy viewing. Any toughts on this?

Thanks for any help!
    That sounds like a bizarre system (the cross-fill whip attached full time) and I would avoid it without knowing more.

If you already have regs that you know and trust down to 110', go ahead and use them. You say you have a MK25 first stage? That's a very good first stage (if I do say, since that's what I use), and if you have a spare you may as well use it. Shouldn't be any issue pairing it up to another brand second stage... there are very few regs out there that have specific non-standard IP requirements that would fall outside the normal range, so go for it.

If you want to buy some regs just for it, there are two schools of though: 1) buy the best regs you can afford, since the only time you'll be using the pony is a horrible emergency, or 2) buy something cheap but reliable and don't give it another thought. I tend toward the latter, though I may change my mind at some point. See what ScubaToys has on sale this week and pick one up. A week or two ago, I noticed they had a nice looking Mares reg on sale for under $150 that would have worked just fine. I've also seen hot deals on ScubaBoard for some Beauchat first stages that were super cheap, like $65. That would work fine if you only have a spare second stage laying around.

As for a pressure gauge, most common I've seen is either a button gauge (hard to read) or one of those compact 1" gauges on a 6" hose.
    Last edited by CompuDude; 09-20-2007 at 12:25.

Barracuda
    Images
    [/QUOTE]That sounds like a bizarre system (the cross-fill whip attached full time) and I would avoid it without knowing more. [/QUOTE]

Imagine a HP "gauge" hose with a HP male fitting on each end. Hooked right into the HP ports on both first stages. I didn't actualy see a check valve, he said it had a one-way valve.
    I would have liked to inspect it very closely and get more info but he was slinging his rig and walking to the water when I stopped him.

[/QUOTE]As for a pressure gauge, most common I've seen is either a button gauge (hard to read) or one of those compact 1" gauges on a 6" hose.[/QUOTE]

I also have a Tusa mini SPG/ DepthGauge combo that I was thinking of using. Just thinking lighter and more compact is mo better.? Thus the thought about the button gauge on the end of a longer hose so I can stick it right in my face to read it. "on the bottle mount" would work but I would only be able to check it pre dive, and that didn't seem like such a good idea.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude
    That sounds like a bizarre system (the cross-fill whip attached full time) and I would avoid it without knowing more.
    Imagine a HP "gauge" hose with a HP male fitting on each end. Hooked right into the HP ports on both first stages. I didn't actualy see a check valve, he said it had a one-way valve.
    I would have liked to inspect it very closely and get more info but he was slinging his rig and walking to the water when I stopped him.

Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude
    As for a pressure gauge, most common I've seen is either a button gauge (hard to read) or one of those compact 1" gauges on a 6" hose.
    I also have a Tusa mini SPG/ DepthGauge combo that I was thinking of using. Just thinking lighter and more compact is mo better.? Thus the thought about the button gauge on the end of a longer hose so I can stick it right in my face to read it. "on the bottle mount" would work but I would only be able to check it pre dive, and that didn't seem like such a good idea.
    Yeah, I get the general idea on the cross-fill rig, I just think it's a good idea to dive it. Do whatever you want topside, but I'm not bringing a weird rig like that underwater. Any hose damage and you lose access to both of your gas supplies, for one thing.

Re SPG, here is a standard setup:

I still prefer a good compact SPG (but bigger than button size). Your combo thing might work, but it's bulkier than it needs to be... and I'm not sure how I feel about your button on a hose idea. Probably no worse than just a button or just a compact SPG... try it and see if it works for you.

Grouper
    if you carry a pony in a slung manner, there should not be any problem viewing your mini SPG botton. in terms of regulator, i'd get a very reliable one that fits your diving (cold water if you dive cold water).

i would get one you could use as a temporary back up if your primary reg was to fail for some reason and you couldn't fix it easily.

also i agree with compudude
    the rig is pretty useless, because if that one hose fails your done. also it is not a true pony as it is connected to the main tank and isnt completely redundant.

also, when you you ever need to use your pony?
    ohh i dont know
    maybe when your out of air
    so if your out of air in your primary tank(s) what are you going to use to top off the pony?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information