Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best set up for new pony Bottle? This one is interesting.

TadPole Founding Member scubatexastony's Avatar

Still the same swing....

Quote Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    My primary tank is an AL80. Toward the end of my dive (as the tank empties) it becomes more positively bouyant. Thus, the weight of the full pony off to my right side of an increasingly lighter tank makes my profile shift slightly (to the right). It's not a huge amount, but if you're static you can feel yourself start to roll toward that side (as the heavier tank trys to sink down and the lighter tank tries to float up).

With doubles the mass is equally distributed across your back (unless you isolate them and use one at a time), so they both empty together. Depending upon what type of tanks you use with your doubles, they may or may not react as much as a non-neutrally bouyant AL80.

Gravity works, it's the law!
    Thanks, wasn't think in AL mode but rather steel.
    It's not the material the tank is made of, it's the weight of the air/gas you consume.... about one pound per 13 cf.

~tony

Guppy
    I have zeagle bands on my tank bands and strap pony bottle next to main tank, I do add an extra pound to the opposite rear weight pouch and it seems to work, never have a listing or rolling problem...

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by No Misses View Post
    To sling or to mount? This is a hot topic around here. I use the QuickDraw II bracket that Scuba Toys sells. I mount an AL19 upside down on the left side of my primary (AL80). The 2nd stage is bungied to the AL19. When I need the pony, i just reach back and turn on the valve, pull the 2nd stage out of the bungie and viola. Happiness.
    Others prefer to sling the pony like a stage bottle. To each, his own.
    Let us know what your preference is once you get set up. Good Luck.
    I just got an al-19 . I plan on using an X-bracket and mounting it upside down also because the knob is easy to reach. Idealy I would have the know is approx the same location as a SCBA tank knob because I an used to this. Currently I have a button gauge on the 1st stage. I plan on adding a 22" HP hose zip-tied to the reg hose and upgrade to a Highland HL501 gauge (approx 1" in dia). I havent decided hose I am goign to store the 2nd stage.

No Misses - can you post a photo of your 2nd stage stored? I like this idea.

Here is another thread on the same topic: http://forum.scubatoys.com/regulator...ony-setup.html

Photo from thread with reg/gauge configuration:
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachmen...p-img_1602.jpg
    Last edited by acamato; 01-18-2009 at 21:39.

Grouper
    You do not need to move weight. Move the air bubble in your BC over to the heavy side. That should balance you out.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    I was also looking at the tiny pony gauge, and i was thinking of mounting it on a short hose, maybe with a tape or foam wrap and wiretie to the reg hose for easy viewing. Any toughts on this?

Lastly, I saw a tech diver recently, pony bottle set up with a hose from main 1st stage to pony first stage. He said it has a one-way valve to pony and automaticly tops the pony off as you turn your main air on. Sounded uber cool. Ever heard of it? Know where I can find it? Any thoughts about it.
    He also had his bc whip running off the pony??

Thanks for any help!
    If you want to run a button guage on a 6" HP hose, you'll need one of these: Highland Mini Tech Pony Gauge reviews and discounts, XS Scuba The normal button guage will not fit directly on a hp hose as it needs the spool that allows it to seal and still swivel. This little baby can attach to the hp port on a reg or be put on a HP hose.

As for the latter: While this sounds cool, I can't see it working as advertised. While I'm not a regulator designer, I can't see being able to back fill into a tank via a reg first stage. Even though the HP is usually a direct feed from the tank, it has a very small opening that won't allow for a rapid fill-unless the orifice is unwisely modified on both regs. I'm thinking about the "Cutting a Diver's Hose" Scuba Toys Video: Scuba Diving Videos Cutting a Divers Hose Scuba Videos

My other misgiving about the described setting is that it would be a definite fail point. I'm more for just making sure that my pony is full before the dive and turning it off after I pressurized it at the start of the dive.

And to keep up with all the other posters: I use a 19 or 40 and sling it on my left side.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    For those who mount to their tanks.....do you turn your pony air on before your dive?
    I sling mine and I don't turn my air on unless/until I need it.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Hopefully you turn it on before the dive to pressurize the secondary, then turn it on occasionally during the dive to make sure it's still pressurized.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Megalodon
    Images
    That's how I do it Fire...Turn it on at the start of the dive and then check the gauge a few times during the dive. I have found that if I pressurize it just as I start down, it usuallu stays good through the whole dive.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I have mine on and leave it on. Its mounted to my tank but if another diver needs it, it has quick release buckles. I dont wanna be messing with a valve when i need air haha

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    I have mine on and leave it on. Its mounted to my tank but if another diver needs it, it has quick release buckles. I dont wanna be messing with a valve when i need air haha
    If it's mounted behind you and on, how will you know if there is a leak that drains your entire pony just when you (or someone else) need it?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information