Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best set up for new pony Bottle? This one is interesting.

Barracuda
    Images

Best set up for new pony Bottle? This one is interesting.

Just bought a used 19cf pony bottle, and was looking for the best reg/ gauge set up for this system.

I should add that I am planning on doing some solo diving and buddy diving, max depth 110, no penetration dives, air only.

I like the idea of no valve/screw the first stage into the bottle set up, but am concerned about air leaks when the system is stored?? I have found two of these Zeagle and H2o Odessy, any other suggestions or preferences? Is it possible to get a first stage only? I can pair it with a ScubaPro MK25 or an Aeris Atmos Pro Reg. Compatibility issues?

I was also looking at the tiny pony gauge, and i was thinking of mounting it on a short hose, maybe with a tape or foam wrap and wiretie to the reg hose for easy viewing. Any toughts on this?

Lastly, I saw a tech diver recently, pony bottle set up with a hose from main 1st stage to pony first stage. He said it has a one-way valve to pony and automaticly tops the pony off as you turn your main air on. Sounded uber cool. Ever heard of it? Know where I can find it? Any thoughts about it.
    He also had his bc whip running off the pony??

Thanks for any help!

Barracuda
    Images
    To sling or to mount? This is a hot topic around here. I use the QuickDraw II bracket that Scuba Toys sells. I mount an AL19 upside down on the left side of my primary (AL80). The 2nd stage is bungied to the AL19. When I need the pony, i just reach back and turn on the valve, pull the 2nd stage out of the bungie and viola. Happiness.
    Others prefer to sling the pony like a stage bottle. To each, his own.
    Let us know what your preference is once you get set up. Good Luck.
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

TadPole
    I have an al30 tank mounted with zeagle pony straps. Reg is a scubapro mk11/r295 on a standard yellow octo hose. I have a regular spg clipped off to my right bottom waist d ring.
    Ron L.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post

I like the idea of no valve/screw the first stage into the bottle set up, but am concerned about air leaks when the system is stored?? I have found two of these Zeagle and H2o Odessy, any other suggestions or preferences? Is it possible to get a first stage only? I can pair it with a ScubaPro MK25 or an Aeris Atmos Pro Reg. Compatibility issues?

I was also looking at the tiny pony gauge, and i was thinking of mounting it on a short hose, maybe with a tape or foam wrap and wiretie to the reg hose for easy viewing. Any toughts on this?

Lastly, I saw a tech diver recently, pony bottle set up with a hose from main 1st stage to pony first stage. He said it has a one-way valve to pony and automaticly tops the pony off as you turn your main air on. Sounded uber cool. Ever heard of it? Know where I can find it? Any thoughts about it.
    He also had his bc whip running off the pony??

Thanks for any help!
    You can buy just a first stage and there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, might be though.
    Gauge, to each his own. Mine is on a 6" hose and looped around to the first stage and cave lined to it. No I'm not a cave diver.
    I think what the other diver had is called a whip. Not sure from the way that you described it. Basically it is a hose with a yoke/din end on each end. It isn't used during a dive but used to top off ponies and such.
    Then again there was someone on here that was talking about using a pony as his bc, dry suit inflater plus hooked into the first stage other ways. It isn't the norm. Personally the fewer the hoses the better. Hook one up the wrong way and things could go south pretty fast. The true tech guys dive there configuration for a reason, safety.
    Let me clearify that using another bottle for dry suit inflation is not out of the norm.

Shark Founding Member
    how long of a hose do you use on your pony reg?

Phil

Grouper
    I think mine is a 36" but wouldn't swear to it. In other words, nothing special. There are many set ups and reasons behind it. For the most part the pony is my back up. In an emergency I would donate the entire bottle to another diver. I also dive a long hose so I could also donate it and switch to the pony myself if needed. Just depends upon the situation. Personally I don't want to be attached to another diver just in case he freaks out, he isn't taking me with him.

Grouper
    Well this one seems to have ended nicely. I thought it was going to turn ugly there for a minute.

Barracuda
    Images
    Hey all,
    Went diving today and figured out my pony mount. Going to sling it at my waist, for trim issues not so much for access.
    Put all my gear together and it is f-n heavy. With a steel 98, 34lbs wieght in my Ranger, pony and regs. I was listing to the left. I think I will give pony under belly a try. May help straighten the trim issue and I can click it in just before diving. Could hand it off as well if need be.

Grouper
    34 lbs..What are you diving?? Double 7mm? That just seems like a lot of weight.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crpntr133 View Post
    34 lbs..What are you diving?? Double 7mm? That just seems like a lot of weight.
    This was my very first dive in an O'neil wet suit, it is 2 x 7mm in the torso, fat 7mm else where. My first dive in it and it was really warm. At 40ft I could feel alittle cold creeping in, but before that nothing but very warm. I must say I am very happy with it, but still may pick up a dry suit for deeper dives and/or bad weather dives.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information