Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal/Carry

Grouper
    Please take an actual course on high stress/combat usage. No need for you to carry a gun if you are not competent to use it in a high stress situation. If you are not proficient in those situations, no different than the average gangster. BR

Barracuda
    Images
    Good Idea BR, I try to get younger officers to do a stress shooting course, run 50 yards and pick up thier weapon and shoot multiple tagets in a short time. The ones who do it are surprised how bad they do. Some go on to change, some don't. But everyone can do this by doing any exercise that gets your heart rate up then try shooting.

Megalodon
    Images
    I took an advanced defense course where they had all of us on the line in defesive ready, the instructor lit a string of about 20 firecrackers behind us yelled, screamed and then had us shoot. I was happy that all my rounds hit the black, not happy that the group at 10 yards was 2' instead of the usual 4"

Snagel: You're kind of/sort of in the KC area, if you want a little more training, there's a guy up in the Independence area by the name of Bill Regina that does some great classes: http://srt-group.com/ I took his low light and advanced Pistol class and came out a far better shooter. Besides, just like blowing bubbles makes for a good day, so does going out and shooting about 250 rounds.
    Last edited by navyhmc; 04-09-2012 at 11:04.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    Images
    Congrats,
    I've had my CWP since the day i turned 21.
    Now 20 years later, I still carry every day.
    Better to be prepared and not need it.
    I carry a (40 cal.) Glock 27 with lots of mods to it - extended releases, +2 magazines, 3 lb trigger, titanium firing pin, etc, etc.
    Like navy said, i would take an advanced pistol class, makes for a way better shooter in the end..
    AOW - Nitrox

Images
    My favorite carry was my H&K USP 40 compact, LEM trigger, tritium night sites, Galco IWB holster. I find myself carrying a Ruger LC9 with all the bells and whistles and a Crimson Trace laser now. It's a lot lighter and conceals better, now that my shirts have shrunk.

"Rock out with your KOCH out"
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I kinda like the idea of taking a more advanced type "stress" class. Something to get the heart pumping and giving scenarios to make you think under pressure. Still not planning on being an everyday type of carrier, but would be fun to take this type of class.

Snagel

Images
    Good idea snagel. I have seen you tubes of 8 Cops shooting 90 rounds at a perp (that was trying to shoot back) and only one bullet hit the creep. It was definitely a high pressure situation.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Zeagle I was in an actual sitiation where 30 0fficers shot at one suspect. I was more afraid of my "Brother officers" than the suspect. we were lucky the only person hit was the bad guy.
    In reading the post I see a lot of people are modifying and adding tech to thier weapons. I not saying not to but Murphy's law will hit technology when you need it most. There is no substitute for putting rounds down range with iron sights. I learned muscle memory shooting and don't use sights un less I'm more than 25 yards out.Took alot of rounds to train. but works in the dark or light, calm or excited, it works.
    Bullets down range is relaxing like floating at 50 feet down.

Megalodon
    Images
    Totally agree mcr0112. For self-defense practice, I recommend finding a range that will allow you to work drills that include drawing from conceal as well. A lot of ranges will not allow this type of drill though.

As for muscle memory, I recommend practicing drawing from a holster with an empty gun about 10' in front of a full length mirror. Draw, bring the pistol up and pull the trigger. When you hear the "Click" make note of where you're pointing: Are you "on target?", is the sight picture somewhere on your reflection? When you start, go slow and make smooth motions then slowly add speed to the drill. Remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Yes, I know the risk of an accidental discharge is the gun is loaded, so make this a planned practice session with the gun empty. Put the ammo and mags in another room, if you need a mag in the gun to function the trigger (Browning High Power for example) insert an empty mag that had been triple checked for rounds into the gun and then start. Check the gun again before doing it the first time.

I'm also looking for the web site I found a number of years ago that had just about every shooting drill you can imagine for becoming a better self-defense shooter.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Stopped by the Sheriffs Office this morning and submitted all the paperwork for the permit. The place was packed. I asked if it was so busy because many took the class over the weekend. They told me, "No, it's like this every day". Looks to me that more people are carrying than not if this is any indication.

Snagel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information