Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal/Carry

Images

Conceal/Carry

Heading out for my conceal/carry class. Never thought I would be doing this, but wife thought it would be a fun thing to do.

Report back on how it goes!

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Have fun. If the MO class is anyhting like KS, most of it is information and gun safety as well as Missouri Gun laws.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Hopefully you will never need it; but, if you do it's there. It's sorta' like insurance.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Just got back...fun class. Had to demonstrate basic gun safety and familiarity with both revolvers and semi-auto's. Lot's of law and "what if's". I was kind of taken back at how "liberal" the gun laws have become or at least how much I thought I knew was wrong. Finished with shooting. Took the class with my wife and her 70 year old friend...pretty interesting to see how excited her friend was about all this. I guess sometime next week will go to the Sheriffs office and get the permit started.

I'm not an anti-gun person by any means, but always wondered really why people felt the need to carry a weapon. Good class to provide perspective. Will I carry? Probably not on a daily basis, but maybe when we are out camping and such (at least have it in the RV if needed - most camping areas probably don't want guns being carried around).

Snagel

Images
    Snagel, many of us do not live in small little town, with no crime. Sometimes I have to buy gas at oh-dark-thirty and it is comforting to know that I can protect myself and my family. The only time I don't carry is when I am diving. Maybe Zeagle will come out with a concealed carry bc....lol
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    When Missouri first voted for this it failed. Oddly, of the 114 counties in the state 110 voted for and 4 voted against. But, the 4 counties that voted against had the most population - Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, and Jefferson City. Ultimately, it came up again, the Governor vetoed it, but the legislatures had enough votes to override the veto.

I have to say that originally I voted against it. At that time, I wasn't sure we were ready for Wyatt Earp in the streets. Now, I believe I was wrong. Time has proved this to me. As they stated in the class today, many people are carrying firearms. If you pull yours others will probably pull theirs. If nothing else, you don't know who has a gun and who doesn't. I believe criminals understand this. Also, very recently, Missouri has changed its "Castle Laws", giving a home owner the right to protect their property at all costs. Historically, a home owner in MO could only use deadly force if their life or the life of others was in jeaperdy. Now, any felony can result in deadly force.

Where this goes, who knows. But, one thing is that it appears people now have a way to protect themselves. In fact, our Sheriff (personal friend) is very on board with CCW and 2nd Amendment rights. His philosophy is that he wants people to be able to protect themselves because he knows he probably isn't going to be able to get a deputy to you in time. He also charges only what he has to send to the state for permit processing...his department doesn't take anything.

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    snagel, in 33 years of law enforcement I have never been assaulted or threatened by a good law abiding citizen ( like those who take he classs). It has been the crimnal who cares less about permits , rules, and most of all your safety. I'm glad the concealed carry laws have come about. In my area it has not increased the amount of shootings.
    Good job on the class, now you need to decide what you want revolver ( idiot proof) or semi auto ( practice, practice). If my boss would let me I'd go back to a revolver in a heart beat, it's what I carry off duty. Has nothing to do with size or concealability ( 44 with 2 inch barrel). just that its more reliable to me. Probably just started an arguement.

Images
    I actually shot a revolver for the first time today. Shot semi-auto's all my life. You know what....wasn't half-bad.

Barracuda
    I took the class, passed the test, shot a perfect score even with a hot eject down the back of my shirt (TIP: never be the guy on the right), but never sent the paperwork.... After much though I never really saw myself carrying on my person very often. 99% of the time my car is close by, so I just leave the gun in there. Luckily that's legal in TX, may not be in your state.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Images
    Legal in MO without a CCW to have a gun in the car (something I learned in the class). However, once you bring it out of the car and conceal it, you have to have the CCW permit. Also, can't shoot from the car....that's illegal.

Snagel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information