Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miflex HP hoses recalled

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    Any word yet on a US recall yet?
    Received this mail, yesterday, not sure about the last words, "only administered in the USA and Canada", so does this mean that customers outside those 2 countries does not qualify for the recall ?

XS Scuba and Miflex-Italy are voluntarily working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to initiate a recall of all past manufactured Miflex high pressure hoses.

At this point, we are awaiting final approval from the CPSC to release the public notification. We expect to have approval later this week. As soon as we receive the approval, there will be a link on our home page with full instructions on how to return your hose for a factory-approved replacement hose.

This recall will only be administered in the USA and Canada.

Take care and dive well.

I don't even know if anyone in Canada has received a replacement hose. I sent mine down to XS Scuba but I'm still waiting for a replacement. One of the shops here was told they'd be shipping out DuoKev hoses to us but they haven't seen any yet.

Could be they don't have replacements for us yet but are willing to hang on to our paperwork until they do (American market is 100 times larger than Canadian). First word I heard had a phone number and no details. Next I heard from a shop with more details. Recently my shop got more details and a form for customers to fill out. I'm getting the impression XS Scuba and Miflex aren't actually ready for this but I really have no idea.

I'd just recommend patience. I can imagine the guy at XS Scuba wishes he could spend more time getting the replacements and less answering phone calls. Maybe, if someone calls him they can suggest he posts something to ScubaBoard. That might help. Or it could make things worse.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Quote Originally Posted by Inka26 View Post
    Received this mail, yesterday, not sure about the last words, "only administered in the USA and Canada", so does this mean that customers outside those 2 countries does not qualify for the recall ?

XS Scuba and Miflex-Italy are voluntarily working with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to initiate a recall of all past manufactured Miflex high pressure hoses.

At this point, we are awaiting final approval from the CPSC to release the public notification. We expect to have approval later this week. As soon as we receive the approval, there will be a link on our home page with full instructions on how to return your hose for a factory-approved replacement hose.

This recall will only be administered in the USA and Canada.

Take care and dive well.

XS Scuba is the distributor of Miflex hoses in the USA and Canada. It looks like XS Scuba will be shipping DuoKev hoses but they'll need a credit from Miflex (they certainly don't want to be out the money). Whoever the distributors are for other countries will have to work out a deal with Miflex and figure out how to make this right.

If you are in a different country but purchased it from a USA or Canadian shop then you should be dealing with XS Scuba. XS Scuba is assuming if you have a USA or Canadian address you bought from a USA or Canadian shop. If you are in a different company but ordered online from somewhere like ScubaToys then you might have to show proof of purchase from the USA/Canadian shop in order to get XS Scuba to honour the recall. I would guess than ScubaToys will be making things right regardless of where you live. This is one of the reasons you want to buy from ScubaToys and not some other USA online store.

Darrell
    This signature left intentionally blank

Funeral Jorunna
    Still haven't seen anything about a US recall but my LDS did me right in the mean time. I'm heading to the Philippines on April 24th and they swapped out my HP miflex for a rubber hose and will send my hose back for the replacement hose as soon as the recall starts. Hopefully they will have my new hose when I return after Mother's Day. Don't think I would have had a problem with the miflex hose but why chance it.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    The US Recall hit today: Miflex HP Hose

Images
    Checked my hoses a couple of minutes. Fortunately my only Miflex hose is the LP one. My HP hose is Kevlar.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    For those of you that don't have a computer or live in Loma Linda:

NEWS from
    CPSC and HC

U.S. Consumer Product
    Safety Commission
    CPSC Home Page | cpsc.gov Health Canada
    Welcome to the Health Canada Web site | Bienvenue au site Web de Sant Canada

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    April 19, 2012
    Release #12-155 Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 249-5404
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
    HC Media Contact: (613) 957-2983
    XS Scuba Recalls Miflex High Pressure Diving Hoses Due to Drowning Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Miflex High Pressure Scuba Diving Hoses

Units: About 17,000

Distributor/Importer: XS Scuba, Inc., of Santa Ana, Calif.

Manufacturer: Miflex 2, Villasanta, Italy

Hazard: The diving hose can rupture reducing the available air supply to the diver, posing a drowning hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: XS Scuba has received reports of 189 hose failures. There have been no reports of injuries.

Description: The high pressure hose is used to monitor cylinder pressure for the air supply in tanks for scuba diving. The hoses have MFX stamped on the hose’s end fitting. They were sold as individual replacement gauge hoses and as cascade hoses and in the following kits and model numbers:

Deluxe Cylinder Equalizer w/ Miflex HP hose P/N AC366
    Miflex Two-Gauge Console HL300/HL300M
    Miflex Rebreather Kits MRB-EVO-LG, MRB-EVO-MD & MRB-ISP-POST-LG
    Sold at: Scuba diving retailers and online between May 2009 and April 2012 for between $44 and $60 for individual hoses.

Manufactured in: Italy

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the hoses and contact XS Scuba to receive instructions for obtaining a free replacement hose.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact XS Scuba toll free at (888) 249-5404 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday and, or visit the firm’s website at www.xsscuba.com

Note: Health Canada's press release is available at Consumer Product Recalls - Consumer Product Safety

---

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about your experience with the product on SaferProducts.gov

CPSC is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the thousands of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $900 billion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, go online to: SaferProducts.gov, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing and speech impaired. Consumers can obtain this news release and product safety information at CPSC Home Page | cpsc.gov. To join a free e-mail subscription list, please go to On-line Form for CPSC Subscription Lists.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    XS Scuba is the distributor of Miflex hoses in the USA and Canada. It looks like XS Scuba will be shipping DuoKev hoses but they'll need a credit from Miflex (they certainly don't want to be out the money). Whoever the distributors are for other countries will have to work out a deal with Miflex and figure out how to make this right.

If you are in a different country but purchased it from a USA or Canadian shop then you should be dealing with XS Scuba. XS Scuba is assuming if you have a USA or Canadian address you bought from a USA or Canadian shop. If you are in a different company but ordered online from somewhere like ScubaToys then you might have to show proof of purchase from the USA/Canadian shop in order to get XS Scuba to honour the recall. I would guess than ScubaToys will be making things right regardless of where you live. This is one of the reasons you want to buy from ScubaToys and not some other USA online store.

Darrell
    the return is only for an US or Canadian address...i will check with Scubatoys if i can get a new one and will pay the shipping.
    if there is no solution, that means there is no problem.

Grouper
    Here's the recall on the XS Scuba website. Includes a link to the identification process and return form.

Grouper
    Images
    Got my replacement HP hoses today.

Recall process was very easy and took about 2 weeks start to finish. The replacements are Miflex hoses that look much like the ones I sent in. The package says "Miflex High Pressure Carbon HD Hose". Enclosed receipt says "The HP Miflex hose you have returned has been replaced with a new HP hose under warranty. This hose has been approved as a replacement by Miflex Inc."

Don't remember the packaging on the original hoses mentioning carbon. Looks like they changed the recipe...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information