Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Suunto a good brand?

Guppy

Is Suunto a good brand?

Any thoughts? I'm new to this gear stuff, but I found out my company gets a discount on their gear
    Are you for SCUBA?

Images
    Suunto is a good brand.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Yes. Considered a high end brand of sorts.

Megalodon
    Images
    A pretty good brand. My only sort of issue is that it seems to be a metric system that can be tricked to think it's english but occasionally forgets. Their proprietary log and dive planner is great.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    ? ? ?

My Cobra has language select, and will run either natively. I see no inkling of metric anywhere . . . .

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    ? ? ?

My Cobra has language select, and will run either natively. I see no inkling of metric anywhere . . . .

- Tim
    Tim - you can choose between metric and imperial units on the Cobra if you so desire. However, I've never had any issues with my computers displaying the wrong units, even after a battery change.

We have three Suunto dive computers in our dive locker and I've been very pleased with all of them.
    Chilly

When I think Suunto I think dive computers and compasses. The Suunto SK-7 compass is one of the best compass out there. Biggest problem with using a compass is if you tilt it too much it will lock and give incorrect readings. The bigger the tilt before it locks the better the compass. The SK-7 has had the largest tilt of any compass I have used.

For dive computers they have a large range from entry level (Zoop) to wireless, integrated computers to dive computers which look like a regular watch. Some people feel the Suunto computers are too conservative. That is, it will hit the NDL before other computers will say you are nitrogen loaded. If your buddy has a less conservative computer, you might find yourself ending the dive before your buddy. I'm okay with that so I use the Zoop.

One complaint I have heard is that the user design is different enough from one computer to the next that you need to re-learn them. For example, had a guy who used Suunto dive computer. Bought his wife (and dive buddy) a Suunto Cobra. She didn't look at it until they were on the boat in the Caribbean. He assumed, wrongly, that if you knew how to use one Suunto computer you could use them all. He couldn't figure out how to use her computer without the manual. I had a look (I use Suunto as well) and I couldn't figure it out either. Bottom line, always read the manual.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    There is only one computer that I didn't have to read the manual before each trip and that's the Atomic Cobalt. I also had to spiff up on everyone else's computer in our family. Worst manuals--Mares, then Sunnto.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    I would choose a Seiko computer over a Suunto thingy.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

TadPole
    My Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 is more conservative than my Suunto Vyper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information