Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tobermory Ontario Canada

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images

Tobermory Ontario Canada

I have some extra time to play with in June and July, and am considering where to go and what to dive during that period.

Having seen some pretty neat pictures from Tobermory, I would like to ask those with direct experience to recommend places to go, stay and also operations to use should I come up to Canada to dive.

Is Fathom Five Marine Park all that and a bag of chips?
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Barracuda
    I've not dove tobermory myself, but the region and towns are wonderful. You are sure to enjoy both diving and surface time. Ps- you do know that it is burr-funkles cold water, right?
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gNats View Post
    I've not dove tobermory myself, but the region and towns are wonderful. You are sure to enjoy both diving and surface time. Ps- you do know that it is burr-funkles cold water, right?
    Always figured that Canada=dry suit for me. Thanks.

Any suggestions as to dive ops?

Shark
    I can't tell you about Lake Huron, but Lake Erie is great diving, so I can't see it being any different. Additionally, I have dove in early November in a wetsuit, so while you should bring your drysuit JUST IN CASE, I don't think you will need it (better to have it and not need, it, am I right?). As Nats said, the people in small-medium towns are absolutely wonderful, so you won't need to worry about that
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    Always figured that Canada=dry suit for me. Thanks.

Any suggestions as to dive ops?
    Send a pm to h20newbie and Clayton. They dive there all the time. It's close to their home. They on scuba board a lot if you post there. Different names I think. Let me know if your post goes unanswered. I will post on her FB wall too.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

I'm on my phone right now. So i don't have my bookmarks handy. I haven't been to Tobermory but i know people who have. My friends use Diver's Den at Divers Den for charters and gear.

If you are driving up from Toronto, it can be cheaper to.rent in Toronto.

Even to the locals, Tobermory is cold. You'll be looking at 45f to 55f in June/July.

If you are looking for accommodations, go to the Chamber of Commerfr website at Welcome.

Hotels are pricey. You need to book early unless you are staying at a campground with a tent.

I have neger been to Tobermory because it is remote and costly. Plus there are limited dive sites. There are enough for a weekend or two.

Rather than driving 5 hours north I tend to drive 3-4 hours east and dive Kingston, Rockport, Mallorytown area. I can find a motel with full kitchen and 4 to 6 beds. Shop for grocerirs at the local grocery store. Make my own food and split the cost of the rooms with 5 other guys. Plus there are over 500 wrecks within recreational dive limits. Water can get up to 75f in the summer and food to cheaper, even if you eat out. Kingston is a college town so there is more to do.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    Thanks everyone--please keep the info coming!

Grouper
    Hey, Just at work right now, I'm diving toby in June and have been there many times...I'll post up some info and can suggest a charter or 2 that may have me on it as well once I get some time!

Grouper
    Images
    There are some great trip reports and photos over on TDS. Great shots of the Arabia, Niagra 2 and the Forest City, 150' and shallower, it is definitely on my list.
    Rick

Guppy
    We dive Toby quite a bit. Our choice of dive shops is Tobermoroy Aquasports. I have dove with the other ops but prefer Steve's. He also runs a dive salvage business on Lake Huron and his knowledge of the lakes and wrecks is outstanding. Well run dive op, his shop is located on the main highway coming into town. You cannot miss it. We usually camp but there are mainly places to stay. They do fill up quick and are quite pricey. But hey, it is a northern tourist town. It is what it is. If you want more info, pm me. I probably don't have to tell you this, but people have shown up with out of vis/hydro tanks and all the Toby dive shops are very fussy on this.. NO ONE will fill for you. We have known people who bring them and have ended up renting tanks for their stay.
    Do or DIVE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information