Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Aquanaut to be sunk

Images
    Can't make it down, but I'm sure somebody is going to video this (right?).

Snagel

Guppy
    I am hoping that one of our members will be there with an underwater video rig and we will post it on you tube. I am sure there will be a lot of photos on the surface. Wish you could come and visit.

Grouper
    So????? How did it go??
    Wish I could have made it down to watch/help but mothers day weekend was a busy one for us so no diving.
    Say When....

Guppy
    Well we got to the lake early and got everything going. Freinds pulled the boat around to where we were going to sink her. She was positively buoyant like you wont believe. Some folks loaded her down with stone balast and we headed for the final resting place, but within 20 feet of that destination she said she wasnt going to go. The bow headed for the surface and the ballast was releast from her hull. She then made it to the surface and rolled over belly up. We plan to try again in August. After we remove the styrofoam from her so she wont be so buoyant. We did get to set some buoys on the Bus, Plane and Helicopter.

Images
    You know if you were not trying to sink her she would have headed straight down. I have to see the video on this, she's going down, down, down,......watch out she's up again.

Snagel

Guppy
    Well we are at it again. We will make one more try to get her down. After a lot of work with a skill saw and a chain saw I have removed all that darned suplemental buoyancy added under the decks and just about anywhere they could sqirt it. I do think she will go. It's going to be wet and a little chilly but we are brave and can handle it. Come watch or get involved.

Guppy
    Well we tried to sink her back in May but she just refused to go down and stay there. She still had too much additional buoyancy on board, so we had to bring her back to Tulsa and remove it. We finally got her back to Tenkiller on Oct. 6th 2012, after a lot of cutting and removing foam ballast. We added some stone ballast and got her down to her resting place. I am trying to post some video that was taken almost a month later of her. She is straight off the nose of the Helicopter in about 22 ft. of water at this time. But the lake is down about 9 to 10 ft. also. So when we have normal water levels she will be at about 35 ft. Todd, Mark and I strung some line from the boats just off the boat ramp to the bus then airplane and one to the helicopter and then to the SS Oklahoma Aquanauts. If you dive Lake Tenkiller please be aware that the buoy line has been damaged again. The Aquanauts will be assisting the Park Maintainance Dept. to restring those buoys at a later date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information