Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual bladder

TadPole

Dual bladder

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm getting ready to take intro to tech, and was curious if it was possible to stack two seperate wings to a harness for redundancy, rather than buy a double bladder, or a dry suit?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know all my options.

Megalodon
    Images
    I've seen folks stack 2 wings on their plates with no problems. I use a double bladder myself and like it. I will say that dive location dependant, you may want to look at a dry suit if not at the start of your intro to tech as you start your tech class. The biggest reason is that you will find that deeper is colder as a rule and you will be a bit warmer in a dry suit. Not to mention those prolonged hangs for deco with no real activity except for hanging around will not help keep you warm via activity.

There is also a school of thought that even with a dry suit, use a double bladder so you aren't relying on your dry suit as an alternate bouyancy device.

The best person to approach on this would be you instructor - they may have a method they will wish you to use for your class.

Good luck!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your original question, but do want to support Navy's suggestion of a drysuit. IMHO, you're going to want to be in toasty tropical water if you're planning any sort of deco times without a drysuit.

One of the skills I learned in my techy courses is to use my DSMB for emergency buoyancy. It's not easy, but would get you out of trouble, at a pinch.
    Cheers, TD.

Megalodon
    Images
    I will add however that a single wing with dual bladders is far more streamlined than 2 put together. It is also a lot easier to manage and less of a line hazard-one less place for an errant line or netting to go.

Barracuda
    Images
    You might want to check with your instructor before buying any gear. The last tech class I took I had to remove the boots off my tanks, swap out my SPG's because they had boots on them and another student had to swap out his cam bands because the buckle wasn't metal. I can not imagine a tech instructor allowing two separate wings stack together.

If you already haven't I would find a mentor that has had a couple of tech class to mentor you prior to go you intro to tech class. If you can not stay in trim without moving your fins for at least a couple of minutes you probably are not going to do well in your class. Work on the frog kick, modified frog kick, modified flutter kick, back kick. Sometimes what seems simple task causes the most problems like deploying your SMB. I will be doing all the above this weekend since I leaving for my Intro to Cave class on the 14th of June.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda Founding Member
    As others have said you can stack them but why. I would buy a dual bladder wing before I stacked them unless it was for some one time thing.

Also as Tassie Diver mentioned you can use a lift bag if it comes to that. With a lift bag you can also get neutrally buoyant and stick your knife in your lift bag where the bottom of the air is. Then as you ascend access air will bleed out.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I will add however that a single wing with dual bladders is far more streamlined than 2 put together. It is also a lot easier to manage and less of a line hazard-one less place for an errant line or netting to go.
    Ooh. What you said. You're gonna die lol.
    One of the negatives the critics of dual bladder wings voice, is how do you know that the inflator hose of the second bladder is not inflating. Well how do we know if our drysuit inflator is not inflating. So let's disconnect the redundant bladder's inflator. But that is bad although it is ok to keep a lift bag as redundant lift, which is filled with an octo. .
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Megalodon
    Images
    I have indeed heard of folks with a double bladder taking a small loop or bungee or a heavy duty rubber band and sercuring the inflator hose to the corrugated hose but not connecting it to keep from double inflating.

Barracuda
    Images
    NavyHMC
    If you remember my SMS100 dual bladder the backup bladder inflator failed and started to inflate the backup wing at Oronogo when you were there and I aborted the dive. What I did was hit the dump button and disconnected the hose from the inflator and was really a non event since I only ascended a couple feet The air was dumping as fast as it was going in and didn't inflate the wing. Most of the places I dive have a hard bottom within rec limits, so I just leave it disconnect and figure I can plug it in if I really need to use the second bladder.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Megalodon
    Images
    I was thinking about that same event Dennis. Though a few other divers did the same: have the back up lp hose alongside but not connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information