Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on Nitrox

Guppy
    Well you make it sound allot better, but if I was going to do tec I would need allot more equipment....
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic23231_5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel00 View Post
    Well you make it sound allot better, but if I was going to do tec I would need allot more equipment....
    Oh yes. The one thing stopping me from going tech is the cost. You'd need doubles, a wing to support them, deco bottle, drysuit, two sets of high performance regulators, etc. And a trimix fill can cost you $100. I think the shop owner told me he could set me up for $4000. Most guys I know who do tech do their own visual inspections and regulator servicing. They also deal direct with hydrostatic test facilities rather than go through a dive shop. Otherwise they could be spending $500 to $1000 a year servicing equipment.

Tech diving is DEFINITELY not cheap.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Totally would need to ask for a raise from the big boss if I was going to do it. I have a decent amount of money in my gear right now and also getting my pony bottle in the next 7-10 days when my spare titan regulator is serviced....

Guppy
    Images
    Sorry to be the flamer, but seizures are a absolute contraindition to dive.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

PADI's attitude is, if a doctor says you are safe to dive then you are safe to dive. I know people with various issues relating to diving who have been diving for a decade with no dive related incidence. I know people who had no issues relating to diving who are no longer with us due to a dive accident.

That said, you want your buddy to know about you issues. Diving is a team.sport.
    Last edited by scubadiver888; 05-24-2012 at 07:02.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sorry to be the flamer, but seizures are a absolute contraindition to dive.
    I find this post very offensive to me. I am wondering are you a Medical Doctor...

1. I have 65 log dives and without an incident. Some deeper dives, mostly between 20 and 50 feet.
    2. Everyone of my dive buddies knows my medical history.
    3. My family doctor gave me the physical with an EEG and everything came back find.
    4. I don't really go on dive boats because most people look at me physically and don't want to dive with me.
    5. No one has to dive with me.
    6. I spend allot of time researching things with diving and going to doctors before I try anything when it comes to gases. As you can see with this thread.
    7. I know what my limits are in and out of the water.
    8. Before I used nitrox at deeper depth I will be seeing a Hyperbearic Doctor here in West Palm Beach

And for one to say anything that someone else shouldn't be doing something because of physical problems is something I am very used to.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17508997/

I haven't been seizure free for 5 years but in the US they let you drive after seizure free for only 6 months. I have been seizure free for 2 1/2 yrs
    Last edited by Diesel00; 05-24-2012 at 07:45.

Images
    Diesel your original question was about oxygen toxicity. Can you give us more info on what causes your seizures? That would be helpful in answering your question. Have you been to a "dive" Doc and if so what are his recommendations?

When you dive do, you share your medical history of seizures with your dive buddy? If you do have a seizure underwater is your dive buddy trained to handle it?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Zeagle, I do share my history with my dive buddies and the 3 buddies one is my instructor and the other 2 are rescue diver certi. I have been to a regular doctor but not a Dive Doc yet and before I do nitrox I will see one. When I was having seizures a couple of years the doctor seem to think that it was cause my a ton of stress in my life. I have had a number of EEG's and in the last 10 years all have came back normal. The doctor was a Neurologist. I am doing everything the right way to continue my diving. Also I had a stroke when I was just born and on my right side of the body is not a 100% functional but I still dive and dive safe. I have an air integrated computer watch 2 of them one for back up. I am in the process of getting my pony up and running as well. Plus I am looking into a full face mask, just god for bid something does happen. I learn young that if you really want something, there is a way to accomplish getting it....

Images
    My posts are being truncated. I will try again in a few minutes.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Diesel your original question was about oxygen toxicity. Can you give us more info on what causes your seizures? Do you take any drugs to control your seizures and if so what are they? That would be helpful in answering your question. Have you actually been seen by a "dive" Doc and if so what are his recommendations? A full face mask would in my opinion be absolutely necessary if you do chose to continue diving. That might prevent you from drowning; but, it won't prevent you from holding your breath which might be even more dangerous than a seizure at depth.

This is a quote from the abstract of your URL:

Abstract
    Recreational scuba diving is a popular sport, and people with epilepsy often ask physicians whether they may engage in diving. Scuba diving is not, however, without risk for anyone; apart from the risk of drowning, the main physiological problems, caused by exposure to gases at depth, are decompression illness, oxygen toxicity, and nitrogen narcosis. In the United Kingdom, the Sport Diving Medical Committee advises that, to dive, someone with epilepsy must be seizure free and off medication for at least 5 years. The reasons for this are largely theoretical. We review the available evidence in the medical literature and diving websites. The risk of seizures recurring decreases with increasing time in remission, but the risk is never completely abolished. We suggest that people with epilepsy who wish to engage in diving, and the physicians who certify fitness to dive, should be provided with all the available evidence. Those who have been entirely seizure-free on stable antiepileptic drug therapy for at least 4 years, who are not taking sedative antiepileptic drugs and who are able to understand the risks, should then be able to consider diving to shallow depths, provided both they and their diving buddy have fully understood the risks.

I would assume that most people that you meet on dive boats have not been trained in handling a diver that is having an epileptic seizure. I would dive with you as your buddy as long as you realize ahead of time that I won't put myself in danger by violating basic Scuba rules i.e., deco stops, safety stops, speed of ascent, etc. We would have to brief ahead of time the protocol that you would like to follow in case you did have a seizure.

Keep us posted on what you learn and if you do continue to dive, any info on your experiences posted here may help others that wish to dive with your condition to do it more safely.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information