Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on Nitrox

Guppy
    Zeagle,

I hope I didn't annoy you with my post I wasn't trying to. Even though we have buddies when diving, I know that this sport is really a solo sport in a way. I would never expect someone to put their life on the line for myself. I am confident enough with my skills to get myself out of trouble. I do need to work on things which this forum has reminded me about which is great. I will continue to post about my dives and experiences with everything. With all of my history I am one of the most cautious divers you might ever meet.

Thanks Eagle
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic23231_5.gif

Images
    Nope, you didn't annoy me at all. I had trouble posting my entire post and you only got the first couple of sentences. It took me about 10 minutes to get the rest of it on the thread.
    I share the same passion for diving that you do and can't imagine what it would be like not to be able to dive. I am a very cautious diver as well. As you get older, like I am, you realize that your body is no longer a 25 year old piece of spring steel. My reactions have slowed down over time as well as my physical strength. I think my decision making process has remained the same, even better with time. I don't panic and am able to stop, think and then act. However, I love my life more than I love diving ;so, I don't do anything over 120 fsw or so, anymore and I have become more conservative with my diving profile. My dive prep is much more detailed now than ever. I drink lots of water before a dive, my equipment is meticulously maintained and I only dive with the absolute best equipment I can afford. I don't dive without oxygen readily available; nor, in a location that doesn't have a deco chamber available. I have the best DAN insurance that is available and I get a physical every 6 months. My dive buddy happens to be my wife and she is a paramedic and she watches over me like a hawk as I do her. All that being said, I would give it up if I ever thought I was a liability to my dive buddy. I know every dive is a solo dive; but, I won't go in the water anymore without a competent buddy with me. We practice our safety stuff, shooting our SMB's, buddy breathing drills, tired/cramped/unconsious diver stuff, out of air situations and whatever else we can think of to make us better divers and have some fun doing it.
    We know our limitations and we try never to exceed them. Would I dive if I was seizure prone? Yes, probably; but, I would take every precaution known to man to make it safe including a full face mask, comprehensive dive briefing and a dive buddy fully trained in underwater seizure rescue. I realize that being seizure prone makes me a liability to others and I would do everything to lessen that impact. Only you can make the decision as it is your life. You know the risks and if you, your buddy, the boat crew and DM's are willing to accept that risk then so be it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Well said Eagle,

I also have the best dive gear that I can afford and also have the gear that suits me the best, including a zeagle Ranger ltd and 2 dive computers for redundancy. When I am feeling unconformable in the water I end my dive and get out. The full face mask will come in time just have to find a instructor that can teach me the skills. I soon will have a redundancy air supply as well. The last thing is the full face mask which I am saving up for being they are not cheap.

Guppy
    Here is an article about seizures and diving

Epilepsy,Diving, Unconsciousness underwater, drowning, AGE,

A lot of the information on the Scubadoc website is rather old. Medical research has come a long way in the past 25 years.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Yeah I didn't realize the publication til after I posted it.

Guppy
    Images
    No I'm not a M.D., just a Paramedic *and Divemaster *that has seen many seizures and would not want anyone to have one at depth. You are correct I have absolutely no right to tell you what you can't do.*
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Guppy
    Images
    Sorry, I do not know where the asterisks came from.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Guppy
    Steveo,

I understand your concern here. As you can see from one of my above post that I am taking every precaution to diving safely.
    You struck a nerve when you just posted your one line with no explanation or anything else. I do apologize for my behavior on that matter. We all take changes when diving, any one can screw up. Do I have a medical history that makes myself more risky yes, but a change that I am ok with. I am just a OW certify and do not suspect myself going any further than maybe rescue diver.

Diesel00,

I think it is more important your buddy is Rescue Diver or higher. You also have to set a plan for what to do if you have a seizure on a dive. I would also bring a medical clearance letter from a doctor and let boat operators and dive professionals know of your condition. As a DM I am always aware of when I feel safe blowing off a RECOMMENDED safety stop to help a victim. If I know you might have a seizure, I'll be less likely to push limits, just in case I need to blow off a safety stop.

In some sense, you are less problematic than other divers. Your medical condition is known and you are taking steps to reduce the risk. I see far more divers with coronary disease having heart attacks underwater. In all cases it came as a surprise and no plan was discussed before the dive. The worse case was three guys doing a deco dive. They had a significant deco obligation when one of the divers had a heart attack. On the spot they had to decide how to handle this unexpected emergency. One guy took the victim to the surface. One guy completed his safety stops. The idea was rescue diver #1 would go up and ask for help. In case rescue diver #1 got bent going to the surface and was unable to complete the rescue, rescue diver #2 would surface with no deco obligation and rescue both divers.

The result was that victim didn't make it (not even close), rescue diver #1 got bent and went for a chamber ride and rescue diver #2 was okay but went for a chamber ride just in case.

If they knew the victim had coronary disease they would have selected a different dive (less dark, deep, cold).
    This signature left intentionally blank

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information