Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on Nitrox

Guppy

Question on Nitrox

Does any one know or who to contact about this:

I have had seizures in the passed and haven't had an episode in over 2 1/2 years. I was thinking of getting Nitrox cert. but I know oxygen toxicity can occur at different depths for different divers. So before I spend the money would I be more vulnerable to oxygen toxicity than say a normal diver because I know my threshold for have seizures is below what a normal persons is.... I hope you can follow my explanation here.

Thanks
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic23231_5.gif

Funeral Jorunna
    Contact DAN - Divers Alert Network. If anybody knows they do.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Guppy
    Thanks will do....

If you have a doctor familiar with your seizures you might want to talk to them as well. Bring an article on oxygen toxicity. It could be the trigger for your seizures has no relation to oxygen toxicity. DAN would be a good group to ask as well.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Guppy
    Just to let everyone know DAN has no statistics on divers that have seizures, they said because there aren't that many or they just don't tell anyone about it. They did give me a hyper-baric Doctor that I have left a message for.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel00 View Post
    Just to let everyone know DAN has no statistics on divers that have seizures, they said because there aren't that many or they just don't tell anyone about it. They did give me a hyper-baric Doctor that I have left a message for.
    I would guess you need someone who understands your condition and someone who understands oxygen toxicity. That is why I recommend talking to a doctor who is familiar with your medical history. Once they understand oxygen toxicity they might be able to say whether your condition would be effected.

If you talk to someone who knows oxygen toxicity (hyper-baric doctor), you might have to bring them up to speed on your medical condition for them to be able to say if your condition would be effected.

Good luck. Hope you get the answers you need.

Guppy
    Well worst case scenario is I won't dive with Nitrox. Which mean not Tec diving in the future for me and I'm not sure if I would want to do that anyway.

Well worst case scenario is I won't dive with Nitrox. Which mean not Tec diving in the future for me and I'm not sure if I would want to do that anyway.
    Tech diving may or may not be in the cards for you. In tech diving, oxygen is considered narcotic. So they cut the gas with helium. This reduces the nitrogen AND oxygen. Unfortunately, they usually want you to have some nitrox experience to show some gas management knowledge. But tech diving isn't totally out of the question.

Guppy
    Thanks for the info 888. I watched some videos on tec diving and am not sure if having 4 to 6 tanks with me would be all that much fun...

Thanks for the info 888. I watched some videos on tec diving and am not sure if having 4 to 6 tanks with me would be all that much fun...
    You have to remember that you are weightless. You'd get in the water with the double cylinders on your back and someone would hand you the cylinders you sling.

Also, those guys have been doing it a while and are now WAY beyond what you'd first learn. You can start tech diving with a single tank and an H-valve (allows for two first stage regulators). Proper valve drills will require a set of doubles. A few instructors are now going side mount. Get in the water with no tanks and someone hands you all your tanks because they are all slung.

Learning deco and trimix can happen at recreational depth limit. The idea is that you can go to 130 feet for an hour rather than 10 minutes. I'm still learning about tech diving from the guy who owns the shop I work at but when I go diving with the tech guys, I'll do two dives on two tanks. The tech guys will do one really long dive on doubles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information