Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackbeards Liveaboard

TadPole

Blackbeards Liveaboard

I'm going on a Blackbeards dive trip in July? Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Grouper
    Images
    Devildiver goes frequently I believe, I am sure he will offer some advise or just send him a pm
    Rick

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Congratulations on the Blackbeard's trip! Are you departing from Freeport or Nassau?

As far as suggestions, first I suggest you do a search and look into some of the past threads posted on Blackbeard's, there should be a lot there to dig through, some useful some not but still a good perspective.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-tra...-report-37291/

http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-tra...-cruise-32815/

As far as what to expect, great diving and lots of it, remote locations, beautiful water and awesome night sky's, but like many have posted before this is like "camping at sea" not a luxury cruise. You will spend the majority of your topside time on deck hanging out or maybe in the galley around the table. Bunks are good sized (for bunks) the the average sized person with a shelf for personal items/clothes and there should be an electrical outlet (110v) if you need power.

Space is very limited so pack very light and then take out the stuff you don't need and repack. Shorts and T-shirt will the dress for the week and these can be recycled as needed. Wet clothing is hung over the side of the boat to wind/sun dry unless in dock or the wind picks up, they suggest bringing some clothes pins (ones that won't rust) but there are usually plenty aboard from past trips. Sunscreen will be needed (for most people) also but like the clothes pins there is usually plenty aboard. If you believe you are prone to sea-sickness choose your meds and start taking at least the day prior to the trip and continue as needed. Also, you just need to relax and have fun, this is a very social trip, a good fun group makes all the difference.

Like I posted above there are plenty of opportunities for diving, you could do 4-5 a day (I actually got 6 one time). The dives are not guided but there are very detailed briefings done for each location. You can be in very remote locations so plan your dives and gear needed for your safety, if you are not proficient at u/w navigation skills this is a good time to practice. You should get to dive in some great locations with very different situations (canyons, reefs, walls, wrecks, deep, shallow, night) so pay attention to the briefings and plan accordingly.

If you have specific questions I can try to answer. Have fun....
    DevilDiver

TadPole

Blackbeards Liveaboard

That's exactly the kind of information I wanted. Thanks. I don't care about luxury, just want to do a lot of diving and enjoy the company of other divers. I'm guessing the crew can also give us some information on the area such as history, etc. Will we spend any time ashore or are we at sea the whole time?

Images
    The crew has always been great, they can give you a lot of information about the locations and islands. History.. maybe but take it with a grain of salt, there are many stories but not all of it is actual history.

Usually you will spend one night docked somewhere depending on where you depart from and where you go. (This is usually a good time to take a real shower)
    DevilDiver

TadPole
    We are leaving from Nassau.

Images
    Cool... You should dock in Bimini midway through the trip.

There are some cool wrecks that they will usually visit including a concrete ship (The Sapona) in about 10 ft. water. If you have a good eye you can find 50 cal shells from when the navy used the ship for target practice.

DevilDiver

Guppy
    This sounds like a great time and a decent price to boot! Plane tickets to the Bahamas aren't even very expensive from WAS.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) Do we pay for each dive? Do we need to call to get prices for renting things like tanks, regulators, etc? Or do we have to own all the equipment?

2)How quickly does it fill up? Is there more than one ship going out each year?

3) Is this trip okay for divers that are freshly certified? Or should I get some more diving experience before going on something like this?

I've lived aboard a ship for over a year(30 ft steel sailboat) and love being at sea. I will be getting my certification in August(and have been diving once before) and I'm looking at this trip either this year or next year if it's recommended to have more diving experience.

Thanks, sounds like a fun week.

Grouper Founding Member
    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/searc...rchParamCat=89
    ST is doing a trip this year and next. The diving is included in the trip price, with weights and tanks supplied. Most people seem to use their own gear. But I'm sure you can rent from BB shop. They have trips all year round. As for the diving it is easy diving just depends how comfortable you are, many new diver have done this trip. Blackbeards does have a web site that can give more info. Good luck on the C-CARD.
    Last edited by ertechsg; 07-01-2012 at 15:34.
    As long as you can breathe, you're still alive

Guppy
    Gotcha, that makes a lot more sense once I looked at their site.

Yea can't wait to get my certification, should have done it years ago but things have always been so hectic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information