Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ........just finishing my DM

Guppy

........just finishing my DM

Holy Batman!!! I never thought I would get my DM finished. Between working, being on my local fire department and just life in general, it finally is within sight. At 55 years old and just starting diving in 2007, I am proud to say Thanks to my friends and Instructor who helped me get thru it. I still think physics is something you drink and will probably never be ready to dive comfortably in 10' seas but I do feel confident that I could help teach and conduct skills at depth. I have truly fell in love with diving and am very satisfied when I can help introduce the underwater world to new students.
    My advice, for what it's worth, is to make sure you are physically and mentally ready to take the DM course. I had over 50 dives, mostly open ocean, when I started the course. I put 3 years of aerobics at least 3 times a week into getting ready for my swim quals. I have never considered myself a strong swimmer but I was able to score well on everything except the 400 yard unassisted swim. I finished it for 1 point. With dive gear on, it's a different story as I was able to max the tired diver tow and scored a 4 on the 800 yard swim. Overall, I was very satisfied with my water skills. Just wish I could shake the sea sick thing....
    I would also like to say Thanks to The Scubatoy Forums!!! I have picked up quite a few tips and advice on here. Being in the non-scuba hotbed of SE Ohio does not allow me to talk to oodles and oodles of divers. This forum gives me the next best thing. Lots of like minded folks with a penchant for helping out with any problem presented.
    After finally getting my first aid and CPR cards up to date I just need to put my packet together and get it all mailed in to PADI. So hopefully, in the next week or so, I'll get the post office to ship my stuff to California and can start watching for my card in the mail.
    Adjunct Staff at The Captain Morgan Rum Research Facility and Taste Testing Lab.

Images
    Congrats Fire Plug, job well done!
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Nice, it's a great feeling when you accomplish something that isn't easy to do.

Congrats!

Snagel

Funeral Jorunna
    Good on you!
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Megalodon
    Images
    Congrats Fireplug! All you need to do now is go out and dive more. That's always a good thing.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Congrats and welcome to the club. Get out and dive now. If you are PADI you might want to look into DSD Leader specialty. I got that and now I can do up to 4 DSD students on my own or if I help an instructor we can do 12. DSD students can be quite fun and ocassionally challenging. Plus, around here, I get a DM discount and half price on tank fills.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    Congrats... as a 50yo that started diving in 2005 I have been deciding if I should go for my DM, it is great to hear you do well.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Barracuda
    Congrats, the road is a hard one. Someday we will have to get together for that cup of coffee.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Guppy
    Thanks for all the congrats!!! Only question I have so far is, what is a DSD? I'm guessing disability diver......
    Adjunct Staff at The Captain Morgan Rum Research Facility and Taste Testing Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Thanks for all the congrats!!! Only question I have so far is, what is a DSD? I'm guessing disability diver......
    Sorry, thought everyone knew what a DSD is. DSD = Discover Scuba Diving. It is the pool intro shops give to get people hooked. It can also be considered dive #1 of Open Water Diver training. You are expected to teach fin pivot, mask flooding and regulator recovery.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information