Thread: does a divers boat locator exist?

TadPole

does a divers boat locator exist?

Hey everyone I'm a relatively new diver and am pretty competent with my compass but I was wondering if there was such thing as a locator that a diver could have that would work with something on the dive boat to guide them back to it? Any ideas or suggestions?

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    These folks:

Underwater SCUBA Diver Navigation Devices

Claim to have a device that will do what you appear to be asking for.
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Images
    Looks like it might do the trick. I wonder why they advertise it as operating range 6ft to 4000ft. Does that mean it will work as close as six feet or does it mean it may or may not work past 6 ft in some circumstances?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    It means if you get within 6 feet and still can't find the boat... you're screwed!

Those are its effective ranges meaning it cannot locate when within 6' of the xmitter. This tech has been hanging around for a while and the company hasn't really worked out all the tech issues yet. Oddly an inverse tech is probably more useful allowing a boat to track its divers and possibly their vitals.

I personally like the idea of diving with a compass, SMB and radio though. Those should be able to get a diver back to the boat when used properly and rescued quickly in an emergency.

Images
    I agree Straegen. The trouble with a radio is it's limited distance due to line of site. I wish there was a cheap alternative that would let you communicate over longer distances as well as display your lat/long, in case you can communicate. A built in EPRB would be nice too.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Thanks for the replies everyone this puts me on the right track but I need one that works with in 4' of the xmiter you know just incase I get lost he he.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    I agree Straegen. The trouble with a radio is it's limited distance due to line of site. I wish there was a cheap alternative that would let you communicate over longer distances as well as display your lat/long, in case you can communicate. A built in EPRB would be nice too.
    Currently, the best-closest to long distance is the Nautilus Lifeline: Nautilus Lifeline discounts on sale Ideations It's had some growing issues, but they're definitely working to improve it as soon as a weakness is found.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Images
    I will dive from a live aboard next, but I wants to tell that the local chamber charges a chamber fee for the week. the requested donation varies from location to location, depending on the number of divers who visit the area.

Thread Information