Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how would you feel about this

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    ok just so it's clear I don't have a problem with safety,fitness or motherhood or apple pie. all I was wondering is if you would feel comfortable diving with an op that seems to me to be a little uppity.

diving for me is all about being safe 1st and then enjoyable I have nothing to prove and I dive within the limits I set for myself. Last time in Curacao I called a dive while waiting for the rest of the group to gather at rendevous point to descend on the reef. why? because I heard my o-ring bubbling. was I disappointed that I couldn't make the dive and had to swim back alone (my buddy joined another group) yep.that's the breaks.

so with age come some negatives but also the wisdom of when to say when. I have no problem sitting on the boat if a dive looks to tough for me but I will make that decision and take the consequences.

truth is I just had a pretty intense physical within the last week for life insurance purposes. I'm a grownup and I really do not need others to make my decisions for me. While I appreciate the thought I do not appreciate the tone of the letter.
    Of course you can call your own dive, but in the same light a dive op should be able to say no if they feel someone is a liability risk. BR

Grouper
    Images
    agreed. We all make our own decisions and we have to assume that others are adults (until proven wrong) and can make rational decisions.

Grouper
    agreed. We all make our own decisions and we have to assume that others are adults (until proven wrong) and can make rational decisions.
    Yep, I can prove I am still a bit of child but that is not typically while I am diving! BR

Images
    For example: A post from a few months ago outlining Bigman attempting a dive on I think the Vandy. Although all the signs were there for him to skip the dive, he still attempted it and had to be rescued. Now, I've never met Bigman personally, but I believe he is tipping 300+ pounds and really the issue in that thread was more of lack of experience. Anyway, if somebody like Bigman was to walk into your shop, I'm sure your first thought would be is this guy healthy enough to do this. I'm sure many would still take his money.

Snagel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post
    Of course you can call your own dive, but in the same light a dive op should be able to say no if they feel someone is a liability risk. BR
    Pretty much agree with that statement, if it is done tactfully and away from other people ; although, it may leave them open for a law suit. What if someone fly's 1000 miles for a prepaid dive package and then is refused. Who is liable for the ticket sort of thing.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Pretty much agree with that statement, if it is done tactfully and away from other people ; although, it may leave them open for a law suit. What if someone fly's 1000 miles for a prepaid dive package and then is refused. Who is liable for the ticket sort of thing.
    The diver is liable for the plane ticket, I would guess the dive op would have to return any type of deposit. I think we are talking about extremes, but I understand the concern. I try to stay in shape and do the best I can, but also enjoy life. Having started to look into this more and seeing DAN's view on things I am working a bit harder. The body is different underwater and I want to do the best I can to enjoy the wonder of diving, but realize the dive op also needs to protect himself. I think as we learn more and the quick passage of information of diving accidents on the web, this might become the norm. BR

ok just so it's clear I don't have a problem with safety,fitness or motherhood or apple pie. all I was wondering is if you would feel comfortable diving with an op that seems to me to be a little uppity.

diving for me is all about being safe 1st and then enjoyable I have nothing to prove and I dive within the limits I set for myself. Last time in Curacao I called a dive while waiting for the rest of the group to gather at rendevous point to descend on the reef. why? because I heard my o-ring bubbling. was I disappointed that I couldn't make the dive and had to swim back alone (my buddy joined another group) yep.that's the breaks.

so with age come some negatives but also the wisdom of when to say when. I have no problem sitting on the boat if a dive looks to tough for me but I will make that decision and take the consequences.

truth is I just had a pretty intense physical within the last week for life insurance purposes. I'm a grownup and I really do not need others to make my decisions for me. While I appreciate the thought I do not appreciate the tone of the letter.
    A lot of the communication is lost comparing talking face to face to a letter. If I received the letter I'd assume they have a good reason for sending it out. I'd go on the dive and enjoy myself. If face to face they make the dive anything less than enjoyable I'd take my business else where. It is that simple.

I'm not a thin guy. Most new dive ops look at me and wonder if I'm going to be an accident. After one dive they can see I'm fine and no trouble at all. I can see a change in their attitude. I've also been on the other side. I've seen guys who aren't in the best looking shape. My experience has been 8 out of 10 turn out to be trouble. I'm one of the 2 out of 10. Most the people who are serious enough about diving to join forums tend to be the 2 out of 10. As a DM I see the 8 out of 10, a lot. So I know what I see as a diver with skilled buddies is very different from what most dive ops see.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post

bingo!
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Grouper
    Images

and exactly would you go about determining this? If you have never met the person never dove with them how do you know they are a liability.

would you dive with this person for example?

Images
    A dive OP should be able to say no, with the caveat that they might be held accountable for their action. It would give them the ability to down someone that is obviously under the influence or very sick. Captain's discretion might come into play. Much like an Airline Captain may refuse someone that is drunk or causing trouble.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information